Help with LS build!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redlineintegra

I'm building a MILD all motor LS, before I get into my questions here's my build:

LS block, rods
USDM ITR 0.25 pistons, rings
USDM ITR girdle
USDM ITR oil pump
OEM main and rod bearings
ARP rod bolts, head studs
10.3:1 C/R.
ported/polished head (mild, nothing crazy)
crower retainers and springs
OEM new guides and seals
Colt regrind cams, http://www.coltcams.com
Ferrea valves
My questions are mainly:
1) Do B18a pistons pins fit with the LS rod/ITR piston combo, and are new pins a necessity?
2) Opinions on buying a complete head vs. assembling locally, pricing/quality issue:
- Estimated parts list at $800 without labour .. gimme some options fellas!
3) Since I want a milder, very streetable setup, are the Ferrea valves necessary? Alternatives?
4) Will an ITR intake mani and throttle body work with the LS, or should I just use Skunk2/Erick's Racing etc instead?
5) Will stock injectors be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

1. You get new wrist pins with the pistons.
2. Labor for assembly is pretty cheap at most machine shops
3. No, just use stock
4. Trust me, just buy Skunk2
5. Yes they are 240cc

Thanks for the reply. As for the head work, I was mainly talking about the machine/hand labour involved in porting/polishing, and if it is worth it to buy all the parts and pay for this work, or simply buy a completely built head from someone like Portflow.

Last question I have is related to throttle body sizing .. this car is basically going to be a daily driver with a good increase in power, so fuel consumption staying reasonable is a key goal. I was thinking 62mm is going to be sufficient, with the Skunk2 manifold, stock injectors, stock size valves, mild p&p, and 10.3 C/R .. I should be able to run 91 and avoid detonation or starvation.

Thanks.

:) i hope it works out im going to start my ls build soon. im goin for mild all motor as well until i save up the 2 grand for a nice turbo setup.

Originally posted by redlineintegra@Nov 14 2003, 08:27 PM
.. I should be able to run 91 and avoid detonation or starvation.

I have CTR pistons w/ CR of around 11.3:1 in my LS, and I have posted dozens of times and everyone says I will be fine. So you will defiantly be fine. Get some Stage 2 cams for your setup, the idle is really good with them. BTW, You want need to upgrade the valve train with stockers.

Good Luck!!!!

I would not go with the cam regrind, seen it, afraid of it, would go near it. get toda or skunks. first off when building an engine, besure to BLUEPRINT everything before it goes on, it's what makes everything goes well and increase engine life, not just stripping it out and bolting it on. trust me, you'll thank me later.

I'm not afraid to run these regrinds, they are proven here locally by a reputable shop. Only cams I'd go with otherwise are Crower 403's. Point taken on blueprinting, but it's already in the works!

Anyone with similar setups, what are your hp/tq numbers?

Back