1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with my speedometer

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by typerhead, Apr 16, 2006.

1. typerhead

typerhead Member

ok so today i was driving on the highway and my speedometer stopped working and now my motor is idiling weird, higher than normal my check engine light came on but i cant check that until tomorrow-----------anyone who has any idea please help me [​IMG] [​IMG]
    i have a 96 honda civic hx w/ b18c

2. MXDesa

MXDesa Senior Member

Are you using a HX harness for the B18C? If so check the speedo fuse under the dash and see if its blown, if it is post here and i might be able to help...

3. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

Why can't you check the code tonite?

4. typerhead

typerhead Member

no i dont see it blown, it would be the alternator/ speed sense fuse if it is its --
    i didnt check the code b/c everytime i try to figure it out with the pin i dont get the right code idunno i guess i keep messin it up. if you know a good right up let me know
    i read in another post that if the speedometer and the miles clock dont roll then it is the vss, would that be it maybe that is all i can think of?
    this is a weird issue [​IMG]

5. typerhead

typerhead Member

um when the timing chain breaks, will the speedometer stop working, and if so will it drive with a broken timing chain?

6. killercannible

killercannible Senior Member

vss(Vehicle Speed Sensor) goes into the tranny. Tells you how fast you are going, might be broken or wired wrong. Although i can't see how you could wire it wrong, D and B series vss's are the same so wiring is not required. Thats all i got, oh and mabey you fried the cluster. Good luck.

7. typerhead

typerhead Member

ok so i had my shop look it over and they found a fuse under the dash that controlls the alternator, which apparently is wired in the vss and a bunch of other crap. my car eventually died on the road because of this stupid fuse. it happend when it rained so if this happens to anyone and their vss fails and car dies check the fuse under the dash. this is a weird ass problem good luck to anyone who has this problem [​IMG]

8. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

Wow, my VSS got wet about a month ago and caused my fuel pump to stop working, and my gauges dropped too, no power and my sunroof would cause the cluster to dim out..
    that thurr VSS is interesting...

9. wanderinman

wanderinman Senior Member

Surprised nobody answered that one... the answer is a big hell no. Your motor would be a very large paperweight if your timing belt went while you were driving. The timing belt is spun off the crank to time your cams, no belt, no spinning cams, no moving valves. however, pistons are still doing their thing. End result, piston into valve and boom.

10. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

I was too lazy to explain it... but good explanation.. broken timing belt is teh suck.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted