help with obd identification

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

basemodel

Ok, here's the deal.

I bought a first gen B16 (can tell by date on head) from a towing company that had come out of an accident vehicle. The harness is cut but you can see where some wiring was done running vtec and also some electrical tape near the injectors that looks like probably a mpfi conversion. What I was told was that the motor came out of a 91 civic hatch, but it has a hydraulic ls integra tranny attatched. The hydraulic tranny makes me think it may have been a 92 hatch instead, but I have no way to tell as the rest of the vehicle has since been smashed for recycling.

My question: Is there an easy way for me to tell whether this motor is wired for obd0 or obd1

obd 0 - you can notice the cream plugs in the upper right corner of the pic.
s4001ca1d5cc84.jpg

obd 1 - you will notice the grey plugs on the alternator and stuff.

s3eadfc268647d.jpg

:worthy: Thanks Alot!

At least I know now what I'm dealing with now. I guess this is set up OBD1 since all of my plugs are grey. So, my thinking is I should probably get an OBD1 ecu and be happy about having more tuning options. Well, like I said before the harness is cut, should I look for a OBD1 sohc engine harness to complete my wiring in my EF hatch? Also, any suggestions on an ECU?

Where do you live? A lot of people in places other than cali use the p28, and then just go with hondata. The best ecu, and the only ecu that is going to be considered for a legal swap in california is a USDM p30. As for the harness, I'd just use the harness you have and modify it for the obd1 clips, and then buy a conversion harness.

I live in GA so emissions laws aren't as strict. The thing is, I have a 91 hatch with DPFI so that's a little added confusion for me becuase I'm having to convert to MPFI and OBD1 at the same time. I've only ever done LS swaps and only ever worked with OBD0. I'm a pretty smart guy and don't mind extra work, but I just need some direction. I have two DPFI OBD0 complete harnesses, one almost complete OBD0 ZC harness, and most of an OBD1 harness (all the gray plugs and sensors on the B16 now) Can I chip a P28 myself using Uberdata or something like that? The soldering part isn't too big a deal, I have a friend in electronics school and my father was a Radar Tech in the Air Force and I work in computer networking. Thanks for all your help so far.

Back