help with oil

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ghsbaseball91

i may have gotten an answer about this b4 but i do not remember, but for somereason my car guzzles my oil and i have no clue why, i am constantly having to put more oil in it..i am fairly new to cars so plz help thank in adv.

(1) Look for puddles... pretty simple.
(2) Look for smoke out the tailpipe... blue smoke in particular... this means oil is getting into the combustion chamber. it will do this a couple of ways. first thing i'd check is the valve seals. most often they give out and you'll leak a little oil into the combustion chamber. If the car drinks it like my girlfriend's car does (3 to 4 quarts every 400 miles) then i'd have to say the rings are fried. That entails getting a new bottom end or paying to have the rings replaced. Personally, and this is if it is rings, i'd go out and find a lower mileage bottom end and just replace it. Hope this can give you a little insight to what could be the problem.

so pretty much im tryin to bank on bad valve seals, or ill have to pay a lot? cuz i kno replacing rings aint cheap

You can get a refresh kit for most D series hondas for a couple hundred bucks. I did it just a couple years ago and I think the total rebuild, including water pump, T belt, tensioner, rebuild kit, and everything else I put in there, only came to about $400...

The cost of beer was separate...That was the expensive part...

He's 16, 400 bucks may be a lot to him.

If you're mechanically inclined you could do it yourself. Maybe even if your high school has auto shop, turn the car over to them to do it for free, but beware. You're gonna have a bunch of other little 16 year olds all over your car.

yea thats kind of a lot for right now, becuase i cant work much due to baseball but i can save up if it aint a big problem to leave it alone for a while, it aint gonna hurt anything is it?

no, you're just gonna go broke putting oil in it. one question will tell you what's wrong with it. when you lay the hammer down and rev the car in the higher RPM range, does the smoke get thick and blue? i mean absolutely noticeable looking out the back window... not just a barely visible puff of smoke.

If it is eating oil heavily, than piston rings are usually at fault. I would perform a couple diagnostic tests on it if I were you. A compression test to see if compression is un-even or just dropped. Usually when compression is low in only two cylinders adjacent to eachother, that is a sign off head gasket failure. After the compression test, do a cylinder leakage test. This is done with a pressure gauge and shop air. This test is a little more complicated, so I recommend a shop perform this test for you. Also check the "no brainer" stuff, like your drain plug, oil filter, pan...see if its loose, or if the pan is cracked. Leaving the car parked on a level ground with cardboard underneath it and let it run at 2000rpm for about 3 minutes, than let it sit for about two hours. Check cardboard for oil leaks. If nothing, than your problem is internal.

well since i have no clue how to do any of those tests, how much (usually) is it for each of those? and which is cheaper..replacing piston rings or low mileage bottom end?

low mileage bottom end FTW. many, many benefits

if u do it ur self then i would say it about the same.......if u have someone else do it. the bottom end is ur best bet i find complete motor, tranny, and ecu packages for <600 the < means less than and a new head gasket and timing isnt too bad in a mechanic shop. good luck.

okay got a new question....is this bad? lol its a pic of the right front side of my engine

Attachments

• Phone 005.jpg
    Phone 005.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 183
maybe because your missing that bolt right there, so maybe its just leaking a little (in that spot)

Back