1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with resume

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by eg6sir, Jan 13, 2015.

1. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

Just wondering if anyone has a template Jen could use for her resume. Message me if you have something. Thanks

2. corvetteguy78

corvetteguy78 Well-Known Member VIP

Do you have MS Office? If so just open up Word, Select new and choose or find Resume. It has a bunch of samples

Briansol and TurboMirage like this.
  3. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

i have a pretty good template you can use. i'll send you my resume if you want. pm sent.

4. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

5. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

6. get_nick

pretty much. the only thing i changed was to put my title above the position. for some reason i feel like people care more about the title of your last job than the company it was for.

7. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

you referring to this?
    http://www.foster.washington.edu/undergradcareers/Documents/UCSResumeTemplate2013.docx

That may work for a college senior looking for a first job, but honestly, telling me that you "assisted with recruiting 15 people with HR manager" when your position was "HR intern".... NO SHIT you hired people. NEXT RESUME PLEASE!

I don't need you to tell me what the position entails. I'm pretty sure I know what generic titles do. "waited tables" "analyzed excel" no f'ing shit, really?
    :bash:

I need you to show me what you did that fostered (see what i did there?) results.

"scouted and hired 15 millennials with cutting edge Java skills that brought profitability to Q1"

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  8. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

You're literally saying the exact same thing in two breaths. It's the layout and style that matters.

The resume needs to be results oriented with specific components related to the job you're applying for andbacking up why you're a bad ass and need to be hired. It's pretty simple and straight forward. You had a job. What'd you accomplish and why are you better at it than other people in the same field. What skills are communicable to the position you're applying to?

Like I said previously , and Nick probably knows even more people than use it than me. Many many good jobs have been landed using this template.

9. get_nick

Correct. If you can't create your own resume using the template, it doesn't matter how you format it. The point is, you need to show your work, how you lay it out is up to you. Some people just need help with the template.

And a LOT of schools/companies prefer this template. It isn't just UW; I've seen this template used at Stanford, USC, NYU, etc. When i sent it, i prefaced that it is for business type jobs. If you are in programming or something creative like a graphic designer, i would do something different.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted