1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Speedo issue

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by biggene, Apr 27, 2005.

1. biggene

biggene Junior Member

Ok I searched and read everyting I could about this, but still didnt find any answers.

I have an 88 Accord LX with cruise, and a couple of weeks ago after filling up I reset the odometer. Well after that the speedometer wouldnt work anymore and neither would my cruise. I checked all of the electrical connections with a voltmeter per the shop manual, nothing there. I checked all of the vacuum hoses also, nothing there.

Anyone got any other ideas??

TIA for the help,
    Biggene

2. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

did you try resetting the trip a couple times?

maybe you got the gears snagged up inside?

3. biggene

biggene Junior Member

Yeah I tried resetting it and nothing will work. It doesnt make any kind of noise in the dash pod or anything, so I dont think its the gears. I dont think it is throwing any codes, but I am gonna check tonight just to make sure.

Biggene

4. 92civicb18b1

92civicb18b1 The Trisexual

My prelude has the same problem. THe VSS likes to just take a shit out of no where. Most likely its the actual sensor. It could be a cable also.

The cruise can't work without it sensing speed which makes me think it would be the sensor. My speedo works sporatically, like I could be doing 70 mph and it will all of a sudden decide to work.

I've only logged 20 miles in the past week or so, when its more like 950 miles. If I fiddle with the harness sometimes it will kick back on for 10-15 miles then stop.

5. biggene

biggene Junior Member

Good lord $200. Man sometimes I hate computer controlled cars :angry:

Im hoping that the cable is just bad, but if not I guess I will suck it up and get a new sensor if thats what the codes show.

6. 92civicb18b1

Mine throws the VSS code after about 5-6 miles of driving.

I refused to buy a new one for 2 weeks now, I'm going to try to find a used one.

I can get a "new" used trans for cheaper than the new sensor and pick the sensor off.

Some prices are rediculously high. I didn't want to ix it cause I only paid 400 for the car and was solely my DD.

7. biggene

biggene Junior Member

Man that is outrageous. Mine is my DD too but I drive 65 miles each way to work and drive thru a major city so I would really like to be able to confirm my speed.

Biggene

8. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

See if you can pick one up off a car in an auto yard. I dont know if it will work, but I have a VSS off of an OBD0 B16a tranny. It might work, but you'd need confirmation. The other problem is that it is @ home and I'm @ college, but if you REALLY need it, I can make my parents ship it. Try and find out if that'll work and we can figure something out, pm me.

9. biggene

biggene Junior Member

Ok I appreciate that man. Let me see if I can find out for sure if that is the issue and I will let you know if I need the VSS from you

Biggene

10. 92civicb18b1

LOL, I have a 35 mile commute to work one way and I work in NYC. It's not like I can really speed that much before hitting some sort of congestion.

I don't think the b16 VSS will work but if it does let me know what you find out cause I'll replace mine then.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted