Help with Speedo issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

biggene

Ok I searched and read everyting I could about this, but still didnt find any answers.

I have an 88 Accord LX with cruise, and a couple of weeks ago after filling up I reset the odometer. Well after that the speedometer wouldnt work anymore and neither would my cruise. I checked all of the electrical connections with a voltmeter per the shop manual, nothing there. I checked all of the vacuum hoses also, nothing there.

Anyone got any other ideas??

TIA for the help,
Biggene

Yeah I tried resetting it and nothing will work. It doesnt make any kind of noise in the dash pod or anything, so I dont think its the gears. I dont think it is throwing any codes, but I am gonna check tonight just to make sure.

Biggene

My prelude has the same problem. THe VSS likes to just take a shit out of no where. Most likely its the actual sensor. It could be a cable also.

The cruise can't work without it sensing speed which makes me think it would be the sensor. My speedo works sporatically, like I could be doing 70 mph and it will all of a sudden decide to work.

I've only logged 20 miles in the past week or so, when its more like 950 miles. If I fiddle with the harness sometimes it will kick back on for 10-15 miles then stop.

Good lord $200. Man sometimes I hate computer controlled cars :angry:

Im hoping that the cable is just bad, but if not I guess I will suck it up and get a new sensor if thats what the codes show.

Mine throws the VSS code after about 5-6 miles of driving.

I refused to buy a new one for 2 weeks now, I'm going to try to find a used one.

I can get a "new" used trans for cheaper than the new sensor and pick the sensor off.

Some prices are rediculously high. I didn't want to ix it cause I only paid 400 for the car and was solely my DD.

Man that is outrageous. Mine is my DD too but I drive 65 miles each way to work and drive thru a major city so I would really like to be able to confirm my speed.

Biggene

See if you can pick one up off a car in an auto yard. I dont know if it will work, but I have a VSS off of an OBD0 B16a tranny. It might work, but you'd need confirmation. The other problem is that it is @ home and I'm @ college, but if you REALLY need it, I can make my parents ship it. Try and find out if that'll work and we can figure something out, pm me.

Ok I appreciate that man. Let me see if I can find out for sure if that is the issue and I will let you know if I need the VSS from you

Biggene

LOL, I have a 35 mile commute to work one way and I work in NYC. It's not like I can really speed that much before hitting some sort of congestion.

I don't think the b16 VSS will work but if it does let me know what you find out cause I'll replace mine then.

Back