help with sub

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
Ok so I have my mtx 75x2 amp hooked up, connections all where they should be...but my sub has 8 connections to it so I spliced and cut until all eight were put together and the sub doesn't work. it's an audiobahn AW1000Q 600 w sub. (I know, I need to get a bigger amp, but i have no money)

How the fuck is this thing supposed to be hooked up?!? TPP says he can do it in 5 minutes but his ass don't get home till 9 and I'm not going over at 10 pm (mostly because I can't.)

Any help available? if you need more info just tell me what you need.

In other words with the connections I have 1 pos wire going to the pos connector on the box, then from there I have 4 pos going to each side of the sub. same with the neg connections...

what am I doing wrong? I can't seem to find a damn thing that came with the sub even though it should all be in 1 of two places...fuckin bastards at audiobahn.

The audiobahn AW1000Q is a duel voice coil subwoofer. There should only be four connections for it. There will be two pos and two neg. Just run the speaker wire into on and then another piece of wire into the other respective connection. A dule voice coil driver is basically like having two speakers in one chasis.

Right, but there's a positive and negative connection on either side of the sub, with a total of four connections on each side.

I tried just hooking up one set on each side, same side, etc but it won't work.

s40885f8bc5c24.jpg

s40885f9d8166a.jpg

s40885fb25574f.jpg

There's four connections on opposite sides of the subs, totalling 1 set of positive on each side and 1 set of negative on each side. I was told I had to hook ALL of them up...is my wiring just not big enough or what?

Depends on how you want to hook it up, I don't know the specifications on the amp, or how many speakers you already have hooked up to it. If the amp is a regular two channel with nothing else on it, and the sub is a dvc with two 4 ohm voice coils then hook it up like this: Run one voice coil with 1 set of speaker wire to the first channel of the amp, make sure the positive and negative hook up to the amp correctly. Do the same for the other voice coil, hook it up to the second channel with positive and negative hooked up correctly. Set the gains on both channels at the same level to where you prefer. Set the crossover for both channels the same way. Just MAKE SURE you hooked the positive and negative up correctly, if one channel is hooked up backwards each voice coil will be 180 degrees out of phase. Basically that means one coil will take the positive half of the sine wave and the other will take the negative for the same sine wave, one pushes in on the speaker at the same time the other pushes out, those voicecoils will get real hot if that happens. If the amp needs to be hooked up differently reply and I will tell you how to hook it up.

sorry just got your reply with the pics, is it a dvc or not, do you have a link for the manual someplace???

Originally posted by cheese9988@Apr 22 2004, 07:23 PM
sorry just got your reply with the pics, is it a dvc or not, do you have a link for the manual someplace???

dvc=dual voice coil? if thats it then yes it is.

cheese is right- unless your ampis 2 ohm stable, in which case i would recommend wiring the two voice coils in parallel- But other, wire it just like he said and you shouldn't have any problems- if the sub still doesn't make noise, put a meter on the speaker leads and make sure that there is power to them- make sure you didn't short out your amp and blow either the inline fuse or the external fuse on the amp :)

How? I have no f'in clue what the hell this means, it's been too long since I've taken any classes with parallel circuits and shit.

fuck it. it started raining and it's gotten dark, I can't really do anything anymore. I do need to put the fuse on the power wire before the amp though, for some reason this new wiring kit didn't give me a new fuse.

The amp has power, but whether or not it's getting any signal is a different story.

if you do it that way it doesn't have to be 2 ohm stable. dvc subs were originally built to take a stereo signal (2 channel), people do other things with them now, like you said put coils in parellel and such. But thats not what I said to do. 1 coil goes to each of the two channels. coil #1 goes to channel #1, coil #2 goes to channel #2. But they MUST be hooked up correctly or the sub will overheat. Each channel will then see a 4 ohm load. If you put the coil in parallel or in series thats different.

ok, wait. breathe. you only have four connections. the other four are for running in series/parallel. you hook one wire to one of each pair. one pos to a pos pair, one neg to a neg pair. the reason they have the other hook ups is so you can wire off the same post with a new connection. also, if you run that bish parallel and bridged, instead of a 2 ohm load, each chan will see a 1 ohm load. bad things. so, you want to run that bish series bridged. that way, you'll have an 8 ohm load, and each chan will see 4 ohms. with your setup, you can either run a 2 or 8 ohm load on a 2 chan amp. no other option. if you have two amps, you can run a 4 ohm load (sees 2ohm) to each, and that rox ass.

me and Slammed figured it out.

I run one neg wire to the inside neg on the sub, then to the other inside neg on the sub. Same with the positive wire.

The problem was the pos was on the R and the neg was on the L of the amp, and they needed to be switched...now it works, but it's real weak so I'm going to sell this amp to Slammed and get a 550 w amp.

Back