HELP:z6 into 92 cx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

htrcivic96sir

ok creating a budget and parts list for future swap... just wanna make sure these plans are in order. if there is anything Im missing and if there are any quirks to the swap I should know about, someone please let me know. appreciate the help!

Budget is very small... some where in the $2,000 range ( just swap.. no aftermarket goodies) .D16z6: scooped long block w/ 70k miles on it for $ 900 so that means budget is down to $1100

Questions:

do I keep stock harness/ECU, and wire for vtec? or do i go P28 and ex/Si harness?

I was recomended the EX/Si tranny for gear ratios' sake but am under the impression my D15 tranny will work fine ... should i go EX/Si or keep D15?

Do i need a different size banjo fitting for the fuel line where it connects at the fuel rail?

should I scoop a bigger intake pipe or just go get a cheapy APC/Ractive one? ( for the time being)

I plan on doing this swap myself Thanx for any feedback. :worthy:

use your harness and wire vtec talk to mat for computer he has the best also your tranny will work fine and the fuel banjo is the same and run your cheap intake no problems

a4 is vtec and d6 is press switch then you are done

have fun easy ass swap

good lookin out but ill have to get up with " nfn15037 " later...

any other opinions from anyone else?

That's about it, but I would definitely tranck down a cheap Si/EX tranny to go with it.

Originally posted by htrcivic96sir@Mar 14 2005, 11:35 PM
good lookin out but ill have to get up with " nfn15037 " later...

any other opinions from anyone else?
[post=473603]Quoted post[/post]​

matt did two ecus for me and he did a great job. i loved how he put the cel to light up at 8200 rpms as a shift light for me..lol

I just finished this swap, and it is very easy. Was my first swap, and went very smoothly. One thing you need to change is the exhaust. My stock cx pipes were pea shooters compared to the d16z6 manifold, so i just got a completely new system. kteller.com has some custom bent piping fit to the hatch that is really cheap. I got a whole exhaust from the header back (took the cat out, shhhhh dont tell anyone), for about $300. 2.5" pipe all the way through with a magnaflow muffler. A exhaust shop can weld it up for you for about $60. But other than that, the swap went great. Havent got to drive it cause I am still waiting on my header, but its in and waiting to be driven.

And you can use you harness, but gotta get a different ECU and run some wires for vtec, there is a write up on this site if you need it.

good luck

Originally posted by DTEC@Mar 19 2005, 03:49 PM
werent some '92 hatches already pre-wired for vtec?
[post=475764]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, but not cx's. puuuuure base model!

and i agee, id definetly look for a ex/ si tranny. the cx tranny blows. ive just put my old z6 motor into a 94 cx hatch. simplest swap out there, its basically plug and play. all mounts work, all plugs work etc.

also, didnt 92 hondas still have cable clutch?? dont know if its different down in the u.s though, just a thought for when or if you go shoppin for a tranny.

any d series tranny will work with the z6 but the cx tranny sucks with it for sure. i took my z6 outta my sol. put it in the hatch with the d15 tranny. and its not even anything close to what the z6 tranny is. so you will lose alot of performance and id go as far as saying the swap would be almost useless and a waste of money without that tranny! i feel absolutely no difference in the hatch after puttin the motor in. but i only put it in cause the car needed a motor to sell it. so its not of an issue for me!

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Mar 19 2005, 06:46 PM-->
Originally posted by DelSlo@Mar 19 2005, 10:19 PM
DTEC
@Mar 19 2005, 03:49 PM
werent some '92 hatches already pre-wired for vtec?
[post=475764]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, but not cx's. puuuuure base model!

[post=475771]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, even 92 CXs were prewired to the canon plug for vtec.
[post=475800]Quoted post[/post]​

agreed they were ran to the computer from the shock tower

all 92s are prewired for vtec....i did my own swap and it was good...still have my cx tranny cause i got a ex/si and it only lasted me a week..i think the tranny was bad...for that one week though the car pulled like it hadnt before...kinda disappointed cause i had to go back to my cx tranny considering its my daily driver....still looking for a ex/si tranny just havent had any luck lately.....if anyone out their in texas might have one...ill consider buying it.....let me know...the swap is easy and all 92s are wired for vtec...thats the only year that i know of this happening..just lucky that i came across a 92....

birdnuts

alright my bad, my 94 doesnt have them there i dont think, i was only goin on that. thanx though!

i have a z6 tranny in my garage, it just needs a reverse idler gear, other than that its mint. but reverse still works, im just a bit picky! im in toronto canada though i think you might be outta luck, shippin is pricey!

i cant belive the difference in the cx and si tranny's! the car feels the exact same with that tranny in it with a z6 on it as it did with the d15.

but hey if you get desperate i got one but im sure someone else on here in the states has one too!

so its fully plug and play right??? should i still opt. for the ex/Si ECU though? I mean are there any problems with fuel delivery? I'm in the process of stripping some stuff off my boys wrecked 92 EX coupe and Im looking right at the thing but he already has some kid looking to buy it. ( id like to have his tranny but its locked up )

Back