HELP! ZC problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bearlan

I just got home to Indiana from Boulder, Colorado, where I picked up an '88 CRX Si with a ZC swap. The car is in excellent condition, the swap looks really clean and the ride is still tight. My troubles began on Friday, the day after I picked the car up and started the journey home. I was driving at about 75mph (the tach was at about 3500 rpm), when all of a sudden, the engine started to hesitate sporadically, almost as if the engine was being starved of fuel. The symptoms continued, so I eased off the gas and things improved a little. I continued driving, and things appeared to be alright for a while, but the problem resurfaced later on. I stopped and called the guy who sold me the car (I trust this guy, he gives off the right vibe), and he said that he'd never encountered the problem before. He had driven from Pennsylvania to Colorado with the car and kept it in storage since September last year and did not have any troubles with the car during the journey. He suggested that I try some additives to dry the fuel, so I did. The problem did not go away. It happened off and on over the entire course of the journey home (some 1000+miles). It happened when I had the Si ECU in it, but the same thing happened when I switched it over to the ZC ECU. The ZC ECU has a very pronounced fluctuation in its idle speed (It jumps around between 1000 and 1500 rpm.) and spits out a code 19 (lock up control solenoid), which is strange, considering there's no auto tranny on this car. The Si ECU doesn't produce any codes and has a relatively constant idle. I've tried checking vacuum hoses and grounds for any possible problems, but have yet to find any. I am at my wit's end as to what this could be, so I'm hoping that someone here in the collective could help me out. I love this car and want it to be in the best of health! Any and all help/advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

My best bet is that u might have a contaminated fuel system since it's been sitting for a while and down to "E" while you were driving then started sucking up major water and unwanted particles at that point. Try getting your fuel system cleaned out including changing your fuel filter, regulator and injectors tested. As for the code 19, are u sure it's not 17? That's a VSS code, it presents similar symptoms, but you'll notice the speedo gauge needle fluctuating up and down if this code do exist. Try to find out more about it and keep us posted. Good luck!!!

Back