HELP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Which way do i rotate my cam gears in order to Retard my timing. Im gonna go try to do a smog AGAIN today.. i need answers ASAP... ive already removed my valve cover.

s3fa689131d4d4.jpg

s3fa6898e5574c.jpg

...And yes i have a timing belt on the way...

it may be safe to say R = retard A = advance. :lol:

cant you just unscrew the bolts and "adjust" the distributor cap a few degrees backwards or forwards to adjust the timing?

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Nov 3 2003, 12:43 PM
cant you just unscrew the bolts and "adjust" the distributor cap a few degrees backwards or forwards to adjust the timing?

yup.. but the computer eventually rests the timing back to normal. And i didnt feel like jumping wires... etc... im done now though

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough+Nov 3 2003, 12:45 PM-->
Tonyd0821
@Nov 3 2003, 12:43 PM

yup.. but the computer eventually rests the timing back to normal. And i didnt feel like jumping wires... etc... im done now though

are you sure about that? i always thought once the cap was moved forward or backwards, the timing was set in stone.....

this is how i retarded my timing on my y8 when it was boosted. used a timing gun, then fuxored with the cap a few degrees backwards (i think) and that was that.

so what you are saying is that after a while, my timing was reset by the ecu and i was running more advanced that i had originally set ?

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Nov 3 2003, 12:52 PM-->
Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Nov 3 2003, 12:45 PM
Tonyd0821
@Nov 3 2003, 12:43 PM

are you sure about that? i always thought once the cap was moved forward or backwards, the timing was set in stone.....

this is how i retarded my timing on my y8 when it was boosted. used a timing gun, then fuxored with the cap a few degrees backwards (i think) and that was that.

so what you are saying is that after a while, my timing was reset by the ecu and i was running more advanced that i had originally set ?

yes, unless you jumped the wires, the ECU "fixes" the timing back to stock.

i some how dont think it does that. if the ecu controled the timing so that it was always stock why do they even make the distributer in a way so a mechanic can adjust it?

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Nov 3 2003, 01:35 PM
in order for it to retain an adjustment, you need to jump the wires

can you define "jumping the wires" ?

this is new to me

theres a connector with two wire ends covered by a cap. you have to remove the cap and connect those wires with a "jumper" wire. this will keep the ECU from corrrecting the timing while you manually adjust it.

whats happeneing is you are changing the BASE timing which the ECU will then use as a reference when the engine is running.

interesting....

when i took my car to a mechanic
he too used a timing gun, then adjusted the distributor as well....

wonder why a certified mechanic would not know any better?

its in my manual, and the guys at Honda knew about it too, so Chilton is not making it up.

yes, jump service connector (near your ecu, in kickpanel) so your ecu does not try to correct your timing. this is when you can use your timing gun to set your base timing. your ecu will try and compensate by adjusting timing (when not jumped). if you notice the rotor inside the distributor, the metal is pretty wide, this is how many degrees the ecu can change the timing.
and rudelude, are you trying to adjust cam timing? or ignition timing?

Back