help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

catdaddy77

hey everyone, I have a 98 dx hatch with a bl6a the car feels like there is a loss of power even after vtec i have changed to a new dizzy,plugs, wires,iacv,map,etc and still i have this problem

when you replaced the distributor did you re-time the ignition timing? if not find someone with a timing light and get it done.

b16 timing

Yes it sounds like your timing is retarded. For optimum performance out of your b16 i'd set the timing at 16 degrees or slightly under. If you go to much over, you risk detonation. It should take you about ten minutes if you can borrow a timing light off someone.
-loosen the bolts on your dizzy just enough so it moves
-jump the service connector pins (same ones you use to check a CEL w/o a machine)
-set the timing light at 16 degrees
-start your car and wait for the idle to come down
-aim the timing light at the pulley
-watch for TDC to line up with the tabs on the block as you very slowly advance the timing by shifting the dizzy towards the front of the car.

Hopefully thats all it was, best of luck.

Yes it sounds like your timing is retarded. For optimum performance out of your b16 i'd set the timing at 16 degrees or slightly under. If you go to much over, you risk detonation. It should take you about ten minutes if you can borrow a timing light off someone.
-loosen the bolts on your dizzy just enough so it moves
-jump the service connector pins (same ones you use to check a CEL w/o a machine)
-set the timing light at 16 degrees
-start your car and wait for the idle to come down
-aim the timing light at the pulley
-watch for TDC to line up with the tabs on the block as you very slowly advance the timing by shifting the dizzy towards the front of the car.

Hopefully thats all it was, best of luck.

you forgot to tell him to let the car get to normal operating temp :)

Back