Helping a friend with D16Y8 to D15B swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dr.fowler

Hey all, I'm helping a friend figure out his swap, and I'm not sure on some of his questions. He has a 98 EX, ordered a single cam vtec replacement and got a dual stage vtec d15b. I know about swapping over the crank angle sensor and the oil pressure sensor, but I'm not sure about getting the vtec to work. Is there a way to make just the hi-lift vtec work, or does he need a p08 ecu to have any vtec? Also, isn't the P08 ecu obd1? Is there a direct plug in ECU that will run that system on OBD2? I searched but didn't find anything real helpful, so if you know of another thread, links would be great help!!

im in the exact same boat only with a 96 ex and a 98 d15b vtec... i believe you can simply wire up the one vtec solenoid and leave the vtec E one disconnected

:werd: not connecting one of the vtec solenoids won't hurt anything. Hook up the vtec solenoid, not the vtec-e, and run a p2e obd2 ecu.

Yea you might want to lose the vtec e, from what I've gathered, it's only for fuel economy and slows you down some.

I think that's kind of a pointless swap unless there's something wrong with the y8. Aren't the y8 and d15b both sohc vtec that produce about the same power?

i just did the exact same swap in my 97 EX, i hooked up the green and yellow wire, is that the right one? also my motor wont idle steady. it jumps between one and two... does anyone know why? i noticed that there is a place to hook up a map sensor on the d15b intake manifold but i put my y8 throttle body on it. was that a mistake? the throttle body that came on the manifold was stuck and i couldnt fix it. would i be better off putting the whole y8 manfold on my d15?

Back