Heres a nice question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

22crazy

whats up? I was reading through sum of the posts and i seen that someone mentioned how to calculate the 1/4 mile time of a car. There was a simple solution posted but then pissedoffsol mentioned if u really wanted to get a better estimation, you would use calculus. Well my post is based on that. I was just curious on how u would go about calculating the time. Im studing calculus right now in university, but i would really appreciate if i could get an answer to how u would use calculus to solve this problem(calesta and pissedoffsol im pretty sure u would know alot about this).

I did some thinking about it and i think u would probably have to relate power into work into force. Also u would have to take into account the gear ratio of each gear in the tranny and how much power is being made at each rpm(probably every 1000) Also take into account weight of the car, air friction, things of that nature. What i think what u wioud do is use all the variables listed and create an acceleration function, which then u can integrate to a velocity function, and then into a position function; then u can solve for time at 400meters.

Anyways i would really appreciate any info about how i could go about solving this. I know that all u guys are probably really busy, but im only a first year student and in the beginning were only learning thoeries or formulae of calculus;i would really like to learn how i would apply what im learning to something useful.

thanks in advance. :worthy:

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Dec 7 2003, 01:49 AM
math=headache x 200000000 divided by anger + rage

no no no it's math=headache(3.14)/by anger + lots of broken shit*(rage)

:lol:

(beer)+(Ciggs)/car parts(time)-($)=Headache/stress

or something like that.....

I'm sorry guys, I usually don't correct people on mistakes, but I feel that you guys may be forgetting a constant in the equation. Math=headache x 200000000 divided by anger + rage. I beleive that it should be Math = Headache x 2,000,000,000 (3.14 meters per second per second or meters per second squared) / anger + rage

You simply forgot the effects of gravity on your headache :lol: I know it's lame, but I'm bored and I probably got it wrong anyways :p .

Back