he's a big FU to the RIAA

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yeah well i never though it would affect an artist from the get go. honestly to me the only thing that hurts an artist is the price on their cd. the shits to high and i'd rather download a cd first to make sure i wanna spend the 16 bucks on it

It may not effect the artist, but it effects the label.

Its my understanding that most artists make their money touring and not through CD sales. The CD sales are what makes the label money.

If the label is losing money, than thats indirectly hurting the artist.

Thats simple.

Regardless, I'll still download music as long as its available. :ph34r:

This was obvious all along. Most people that download music only download it to preview the album. I do, anyway, and so do most of my friends. It's their work, they deserve to be paid for it. I would, however, like to see the record labels' cut reduced, especially on the small-time artists that need the money to get going.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Dec 6 2004, 02:32 PM
This was obvious all along. Most people that download music only download it to preview the album. I do, anyway, and so do most of my friends. It's their work, they deserve to be paid for it. I would, however, like to see the record labels' cut reduced, especially on the small-time artists that need the money to get going.
[post=427126]Quoted post[/post]​

'preview' the music? Most everyone I know burns the CDs without actually buying the music except for a few bands that buy the CD because they're artists themselves and also like supporting the small time bands that they listen to.

Oh well to each their own. it would be nice if people stfu about the issue but its like the next abortion issue

I'm just saying that usually, if I d/l 2 or 3 songs and I like the band, I will usually pick up the CD if I can find it. I'm not gonna bother ordering it or looking for it till the end of time, but if it's a non-mainstream band and I like them, I usually buy an album.

i preview on most albums i buy cause most albums now days only have 2 good tracks out of 13 or so. its like a waste of money. even though your paying like a penny a track anyways i still don't agree with spending the 15.99 for a cd. especially that i work with someone who makes his own music and i was looking up cd costs and things like that.

OK actually make the cd is like a dollar, then most of the time it goes thru distribution which charges like lets say 3 bucks on a cd. OK cd is now 4 dollars, most of the time most place will only put a few dollars ( around 2-3 sometimes 4) on a cd after that. the rest is your profit. basically after that it just turns into how greedy the person is or how rich they wanna be.

i'll just wait on new music tuesday at best buy and buy them for 9.99

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Dec 6 2004, 01:46 PM
Most everyone I know burns the CDs without actually buying the music except for a few bands that buy the CD because they're artists themselves and also like supporting the small time bands that they listen to.

And that's the way it should be, 100% of the time. If a band is good enough they'll be supported by their fans. Downloading their music has 0 effect on them. The only ones being hurt by downloading are the labels.

Originally posted by Trinity@Dec 6 2004, 03:25 PM
i preview on most albums i buy cause most albums now days only have 2 good tracks out of 13 or so. its like a waste of money. even though your paying like a penny a track anyways i still don't agree with spending the 15.99 for a cd. especially that i work with someone who makes his own music and i was looking up cd costs and things like that.

OK actually make the cd is like a dollar, then most of the time it goes thru distribution which charges like lets say 3 bucks on a cd. OK cd is now 4 dollars, most of the time most place will only put a few dollars ( around 2-3 sometimes 4) on a cd after that. the rest is your profit. basically after that it just turns into how greedy the person is or how rich they wanna be.

i'll just wait on new music tuesday at best buy and buy them for 9.99
[post=427153]Quoted post[/post]​

Tisk tisk. I'm not saying I dont download music for free but I'm just going say from a business perspective on costs you have it all wrong.

You didn't add in the cost of promoting the band and advertising which is the greatest cost that a label has. It takes a lot of time and money to promote a band, they're paying for advertising, they're paying for teams to create the advertising, they're paying for people to market the advertising, they're paying for people to answer the phones, etc., etc. They're a shitload of hidden costs.

Sure to self produce its fairly cheap, but you think you're going to get anywhere near as far by self producing as opposed to being signed to a label and them getting your music out there? If you could, then no one would ever bother with a label.

Back