Hesitation and Acceleration Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sleepn_accord

1993 Accord
JDM h22 w/at

NO CELs

-----

So the other day I was driving the car and for some time now it had a slightly rough idle. It would idle around 900 rpm and there was a slight vibration in the steering wheel.

I come to a stop and the idle goes down to 700 and all of sudden it's idling smooth, like brand new.
As I start to drive it feels like someone is holding the car back and then it surges forward.
It doesn't feel like it's missing. With no load on the engine (in neutral) if I rev it up it doesn't sound/feel like it's missing.

Regardless of what gear I'm driving in, 1,2,D3,D4 it was still doing it. As far as I can tell it's not a problem with the tranny.. RPM's don't go unusually quick.

I can only describe it as a weird 'turbo' effect. Hit the gas and the RPMs climb normally, but little to no acceleration then all of a sudden "WHOOMP" the car speeds up.

Suggestions?

have you changed your spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor?

i have the same problem. Changed my dizzy, wires, plugs, fuel filter, injectors and it still does it. Only happens very noticably if I accelerate from a stop and press the gas lightly. Im almost positive its a fuel problem cause it got worse after tuning.

Quoted post[/post]]
have you checked your Fuel Pressure?

no. I don't have a gauge. I think I should buy one.
I just bought new wires and a rotor and will try to get them installed today or tomorrow...
But I'm wondering if the pump is going or if the injectors might be clogged.

But I'm trying to figure out how this would tie into the slight vibration that I get at idle when in 'drive' magically disappearing at the same time that this problem developed... :confused:

I have the same problem on my 90 hatch with a b16a.

Its rather more annoying then anything, I havent had time to get around to fixing it. What I have done is wires/plugs and it made no difference.
I went to do rotor and cap but I ordered the wrong stuff cause I'm stupid like that and held onto the stuff knowing i'd use it.

as far as the fuel pressure goes it was one of my other things that came to mind as what i thought could be it. I guess I can goto a local hydraulic store and buy a basic gauge to read fluid pressure and some brass fittings. I would borrow one from work, but ours read up extremely high and i wouldnt get crap for being able to get a accurate reading lol.

my car also has that slight vibration its so annoying, hasport mounts. I was told that wouldnt happen with hasport :x

If I fix my problem before you ill let you know what my problem was heh

Thanks. I ended up changing the rotor and plugs, cleaned the nodes on the cap and resetting the ignition timing.

Runs well, however, the idle is inconsistent (fluctuates a couple hundred rpms or so 800-1000) and I still have the mild vibration at idle - even though I drop the idle down to 700 it's still there. But when the hesitation problem started the idle would dip to 700 and the vibration was non-existent. It's more annoying than anything...

And when I rev the motor up and let it drop, around 3000 rpm I get a putt-putt *like a baby back fire*

check your IACV and clean it with some b-12. Should clear that idle fluctuation up

just get a b series swap and forget about it....

Back