Hesitation at speed and accellerating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92stoccord

Big Member
Hey guys, just wanted to get opinions, I've been experiencing a little bit of hesitation with my car. When I'm driving along at about 55-60, I can notice a bit of a stutter just a little, it seems at certain revs. This seems to be constant despite the tempurature. Now I just fired it up and cut out onto a main road and tried to get it up to speed, and it kept hesitating, almost like it was missing. After it warmed up I pushed it just as hard in the same situation, and it was fine. I do have a CEL, but its for EGR valve. I'm thinking this is either a minor imperfection in my distributor, or perhaps skewed timing? I am due for a timing belt change.

Also, I've been searching, and most of the results also contain something about idle problems. Jumping idle, or high or low. My car idles beautifully, aside from a little tap when its cold. I've adjusted valve lash, so that should be fine. I did read an interesting article talking about microscopic wear in the internals causing the cam to droop ever so slightly, causing poor timing until the metal expands from the heat. I've got 232441 miles on this motor, has anyone ever heard of that?

That's one thing I've got to check. I did factor that in as a possibility. I did find an article with someone who described a similarÝ problem, said he changed his egr, still did it, then cleaned out the passages leading to it and it solved the problem. Soooo I might be pulling apart my egr.

My thoughts too. I was considering an egr delete, but I'd have to figure out how to get the cel to shut up. Not sure if it has a panic mode for that situation. I know when my first O2 sensor died, my cel freaked the fuck out and dumped all the gas it could for fire, and it burnt very rich for an otherwise properly running car. Got 5+ mpg after changing it.

Cleaned the EGR valve. Reset the engine code, and now P0171 popped up today. Lean burn on cylinder 1. I checked my vacuum lines, all looks good. Its still hesitating at speed. This is starting to sound like a fuel pump...

Changed the fuel filter, reset CEL, still waiting for it to come back.

How the hell do I test fuel pressure?? I know there is no port, but I rented a tester from Autozone, and I couldn't get the fucker to fit on anything. Do I just have to get a fitting with a schrader valve on it, and put it before the filter, or after the regulator?

Back