hesitation/ stumbling up hill low rpm

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

strider380

Hi I got a 99 civic ex motor in my 96 civic ex. I kept the wire harness, dizzy, alternator and ecu from the 96.

When going uphill, or any time you give it a load around 2500 rpm and less, it starts bucking/ hesitating like it never has before. By feathering the gas pedal you can slowly get out of it.

Any idea what it could be? I have a whole second (blown) motor full of sensors for troubleshooting. If someone could give me some suggestions where to start. The idle is also really different at startup then I remember. It fluctuates between around 1500 and 2000 every few seconds til it warms up. then it will sometimes idle at what seems like 300 or 400 rpm. It never did this when the motor was in the 99 it came from

I've cleaned the throttle body, set the timing to 12* stock. Loosened the gas cap. I gave it a full tuneup a few oil changes ago.

There is a CEL for code 23 knock sensor which I believe is because I snapped both knock sensors (on both motors) just looking at them, and soldered/epoxied them back together.

Back