Hey Cel and LSVTEC (or anyone else with religious knowledge)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
So the GF as I've said before grew up Mennonite, her dad is in fact a preacher :mellow:

He has some odd beliefs that I and my family just don't see eye to eye on so I'm preparing myself for the inevitable debate

I know someone on here can kick some knowledge, this should also be a good spiritual debate thread so let the games begin...

Here's a short list of the stuff I don't agree with, please provide research based information not (that's BS) cause I certainly can't use that

List
The Earth is 7000 years old
The Bible is Infoulable
Even tasting alcohol is a sin
serving in the armed forces is against the will of god
voting (or other political/govt participation) is against the will of god

alright guys, do your thing lol

Servitude to the US is not against the will of god, Nor is voting or playing part in politics, unless by Politics you count personal politics (HE said, she said). Government isn't included. Mennonites form governing bodies over communities - those communities are small, but they are small because of the number of Mennonites in one area. Ergo, were there more Mennonites there would be some off-sided tax structures, wierd debates and god-beaurecracies. Basically it's like saying that Canadians aren't racist, when the fact is that Canadians are very racist - they just lack the naval presence to make their views known.

That out of the way, I wouldn't argue at all with the old man. Shake your head up and down and agree with him. Mennonites aren't very open minded, but they are very considerate and mostly into helping out their fellow man than they are in converting them.

He's prolly bitter about losing his daughter to a heathen / heretic such as yourself, but he's obviously ok with it or you wouldn't have gotten this far. Being a pastor he also sees "The rest of the flock" leaving Mennonite ways and getting a little more progressive.
-> S

Blah if he was Muslim you would have had 46464646464 Quran quotes and junk, where's all that lol?

and FYI she hasn't been Mennonite for 2 years

I believe I work with a mennonite, I'm not 100% sure what his religion is. Great guy, one of my good friends.

Here is his religion.

No Alcohol.
No TV.
No holding hands before marriage.
No divorce.
No politics at all.
Chaperoned exposure with opposite sex.
No swearing.

His friends, besides me and the boss, are all members of his church. The kid is probably one of the kindest dudes I know. Rocks at skiing(double back flips) and is a serious construction worker. Nothing holds him back at all. Hell, you'd never know until you turn on the tv and he's like what show is this? I've never heard of this, etc.

But I agree with celerity. Don't argue with him. In my friend's church, you're ostracized and banished if you marry outside of the church.

The Earth is 7000 years old
don't even know how he could think this so i'll have to ignore it
The Bible is Infoulable
ok, so get him with his own book
Even tasting alcohol is a sin
jesus drank wine, refer to his own book, he even went so far as to convert water into wine so all could drink
serving in the armed forces is against the will of god
thou shall not kill, serving in the armed forces = its very possible that your job/duty will include killing another human, avoid this subject
voting (or other political/govt participation) is against the will of god
i'm guessing his reasoning is that pol/gov systems in place now were created by man and being as such are flawed since their inception
he's putting all his faith in a godly world order or some such
i would also avoid this subject

you need to remember these aren't just his believes, this is his way of life
tread wisely

oh I'm not picking any fights, he has already started asking me questions though, and while his whole family are very kind to me he kind of regards me with a certain suspicion. I really think he's fine believing whatever he believes but I'm not so certain he extends the same acceptance

i'm guessing his reasoning is that pol/gov systems in place now were created by man and being as such are flawed since their inception
he's putting all his faith in a godly world order or some such
i would also avoid this subject

that's a good point, and you guys might not believe this but I'm a Republican ;) that being said I'm very pro military which they think is a sin. I saw some home videos of there's and there was one where there church was singing the national anthem, and I would never tell them this, it actually offended me on the basis that they benefit from our country's freedom (most religious types came here to escape persecution) but yet they refuse to even take part in the very system which preserves their own freedom to include voting.

other then that to obtain from government because it's organized by man and then attend a church which is organized by man seems a bit hypocritical...

You're dating his daughter. You could be any religion in the world, you could be HIS religion. You could have his job, you could drive his car. You could own his house.

You're fucking his daughter and he will NEVER like you.

oh I'm not picking any fights, he has already started asking me questions though, and while his whole family are very kind to me he kind of regards me with a certain suspicion. I really think he's fine believing whatever he believes but I'm not so certain he extends the same acceptance
you aren't going to win over someone that religious. don't even bother trying to reason with him, he won't change his views.

your best bet it to make him understand that no matter what religion and beliefs you have, you will take care of his daughter and treat her right. if he has 1/2 a brain he will understand at least that much.

and if he is nuts and totally trips on you, lose the girl, she might end up nuts one day to. you just never know.

You're dating his daughter. You could be any religion in the world, you could be HIS religion. You could have his job, you could drive his car. You could own his house.

You're fucking his daughter and he will NEVER like you.
and he's not "fucking his daughter". he took her innocence. it's wayyyy worse. :ph34r:

How about this.

Screw it all, be yourself. Dont study up, dont take on other's beliefs as your own. Tell him exactly what you think. Be yourself and let him blind side you with whatever he wants.

If the old chap is going to like you at any point, you want it to be YOU. Not some pre-fabbed bullshit. Then you dont have to remember anything, you dont have to stick to certain beliefs.. Stick to what your heart tells you. And if he hates your guts for it.. So be it.

How about this.

Screw it all, be yourself. Dont study up, dont take on other's beliefs as your own. Tell him exactly what you think. Be yourself and let him blind side you with whatever he wants.

If the old chap is going to like you at any point, you want it to be YOU. Not some pre-fabbed bullshit. Then you dont have to remember anything, you dont have to stick to certain beliefs.. Stick to what your heart tells you. And if he hates your guts for it.. So be it.

damn, the Texan in you is working overtime lol

hey assholes leave me be, if I wanted my sexlife all over Al Gore's interweb I would hang out with Paris Hilton

Back