hey guys i just want some tips

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
i actually had a question though.. where does the exhaust leave?
some leaves through the side of the turbo, but it says that it goes from the head, through the turbo, through the intercooler and back into the engine..
where does the exhaust connect too?

The exhaust leaves the head and enters the manifold. From here some of it is routed through the waste gate and into the exhaust pipe. What doesn't go through the waste gate goes through the turbo, spins the turbine, and enters the exhaust pipe.

The intake charge is sucked in through the turbo, pushed through the intercooler, then into the motor.

ohhhhh.. i get it now.
so it takes the good shit and sends that to the intercooler?
i thought it just compressed all the air and then there was another exhaust after it goes back through the engine.

The exhaust gas spins a turbine. The turbine is attached to the inducer wheel. The inducer wheel pulls in outside air and compresses it with the exducer in the intake charge piping/intake manifold. There's 2 separate flows of air happening, and each stay separate. No exhaust gas goes back into the intake.

Last edited:
The outlet of the cold side of the turbo connects to the intercooler. When I say cold side I mean the side that compresses the intake charge. The hot side of the turbo is the side that the exhaust moves through.

I will let this speak it's thousand words.

turbo_schematic.gif

engine_turbo_charger.jpg

ive seen that picture a few times..
but it doesnt show where it connects to the exhaust..
thats what is confusing me.

i see that, i mean the actual pipe.
you know, the one that the header was previously connected to, the one that goes to the cat..

mirage_turbo.jpg

That should help a little and the part on the turbo facing staight down is where the charge piping for the intercooler would go....

make sense?

thank you.
that explains it all.
thats kinda how i was picturing it, but in the video in the first article, it didnt look like that.
the turbo was just connected straight to the header, and then it showed the bottom and there was a tube connecting to the exhaust.

crap I forgot to post the link it was suposed to have a link to this ebay turbo. It was just a joke but it could guarantee that it would out live the stock f22 he would be puting it on

:werd: Teh seals and bearings are shit and blow out perty quick.
:werd: About 500 miles on my buddy's car before the seals went, then the bearings pretty much self destructed. That's with the proper oil restrictor (which is hard to choose because they don't give you a spec with the turbo).
so, there isnt ONE good turbo on ebay?
not even with reputable companies?
Well, if you buy a name brand turbo you're alright. We're talking about the knockoff no name turbo's that are sold on ebay for cheap. I think a 57 trim t3t4 is like $160. The price alone should explain that all should need to be explained. You get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back