hey some exaust help please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91accordwithwork

kid that everyone loves!
ok so i got a header now a high flow test pipe and a big tip on the end.

it woulnd stop crackleing while i drive which i hate, it sounds like shit. so i went and bouhgt a thush turbo muffler and stuck it on the back where the ti went. thouhgt it would solve the crackling but didnt and sounded 100 Xs worse than the tip that was on there. please help me guys whered i go wronge?

thanks

i was thining it may be form my cheap header i got off ebay so do u think if i buy a new exaust mani itd be beter??

sry im really lost with this one

ok so i got a header now a high flow test pipe and a big tip on the end.

stop... dont touch your car anymore.. in fact, hand the keys back to mom and pops until you can afford to modify your car.. cheap header, high flow cat, and exhaust tips do nothing for performance.. they only make your car sound like shit.. .. oh, no need to make 2 threads on the subject

Honestly, I really hate the prospect of helping you, but I do have an idea on what the problem might be, so I guess I'll go ahead and share. The gasket that goes between the bottom half of the header and the cat converter, what did it look like? A lot of the time with cheap headers they'll give you a flat, paper gasket to use there, but you really need a round, thick, metal gasket. If they gave you the flat gasket and you used it there then it might have a leak there, which would cause it to be noisy. If that's the case, then go to Auto-Zone/Napa/etc. and get the correct gasket.

Oh, and FYI, an after-market header, test pipe, and after-market muffler aren't going to help much if you're still using the tiny factory exhaust. If you want to see any actual power gains from this stuff then you need to upgrade to larger exhaust piping as well.

There. Don't say I never helped you...

thank you brutal!

your awsome really thanks so basicly go to checker or advanced auto parts or w.e and say i need a gasket . I need the one that goes between the flex pipe and the cat??

i think thats correct.....

well i dont no why my other thread got closed but thank for the info egirs. so ok if i threw out all this junk i have now and saved up for a megan racing header, downpipe and cat all made from megan, woul di be in good shape??

sry my lack of experience allows me not to really no

you'll need a donut gasket ( i think thats what they're called)

heres a pic

Attachments

• s599959839yho.jpg
    s599959839yho.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 205
no, it'll look like this .. this ensures a good seal between the header and cat

CAC-008902.jpg

thast what they said they have at my local auto store i dont understand how to get it in between the header and cat tho , u just set it there and hold it there and then tighten?

ok ok thanks for the pic a lot

but my next question is since there really no groove or anything how does it get placed in there?? u no what i mean?

well, there should be about a half inch section of pipe that comes off teh header wehre it bolts to the cat.. slide the gasket over that...

i've never dealt with cheap ebay headers so i couldnt tell you for sure if you'll have one

oo i think i realized something,

the only time those rings can work is if they are those on ekind of header liek the dc cermic for example with the 2 bolt flange. I got the checp 3 bolt flang will it still work/.?

probably not, but it seems your learning.. to bad its the wrong way.. dont be cheap next time

you can find a used DC for a decent price sometimes

Take your car to a reputable muffler shop and ask them to fix it. Tell them to weld the upper and lower section of the header together (where it bolts together near the radiator), and install a "donut" gasket where the tail of the header meets the cat.. They might have to chop the tail of your header off and weld up a new piece, but thats about the only option you have right now. Unless of course your cat's bolt pattern matches up with your header..

Its hard to say without looking at it. Just take it to a muffler shop and let them do their thing.

theres a bolt in the middle of the down pipe(the pipe between the header and cat..), there is absolutely no use for this wich tells me the guy that made this didnt even know anything about our models...there maybe a leek or presure where that bolt is...and did you put ur O2 sensor on? have you turned the car on and tried to listen to the source of the noise? sometimes when you work on something and something happens you assume its what you just did and maybe just something else thats failing at the same time... have you tried going to a machanic and have them plug there computer in? they usually do that for free....

wtf?^^.. he changed the header and cat.. he has a leak somewhere.. no need to take it to a mechanic to diagnose that.. just take it to a muffler shop and have them make sure its not leaking.. a lot cheaper

Back