hey some exaust help please

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wow this is all very interesting, good ideas everyone but does this kid ever make up his mind?? "K yea I'm gonna do that, o wait I'm gonna do this" Dude just buy a new header (megan, dc, hytech, etc.) and get urself a decent (not ebay) catback exhaust (skunk2, greddy, hks, etc.) Then maybe you will actually see some power gains. Take all this as a learning lesson so that you don't do it again ;)

Last edited:
lol true true at least hes got ambitions(as a.d.d. as they are) and not going "hey guys, i got a bagillion hp accord and beat a evo!" not knowing that the evo wasnt actually racing and us having to call b.s. on him, ive seen people actualy do that...

I purchased an ebay header for a crx of mine. A DC 4-2-1 knockoff.

Problems:

Shitty gaskets: Replaced with fel-pro's from autozone.
Shitty quality flange: Not so much a lack of thickness, but ugly cuts.
Shitty port matching: Easily fixed with a die grinder and a few hours of careful work.
Shitty header/down pipe gasket and fit: Port matched with a die grinder and welded the bastards together solid.

The welds on mine (flange vs piping) were fine. The bends were done with a mandrel and were great. After the port matching and welding the two halves together, I never had another problem. Now, would I repeat this? Probably not. I'd just spring for a real DC. But you can get away with a cheap shit header if you are willing to toss a few hours of work and some elbow grease into them.

thank u good to no..

i did use the silicon sealent and selaed the connection, and it did work and seall reall good, but i still have that nasty crackle at around 2-3 rpm

is it maybe because my exaust tip is too fat?

i got a reall fat tip on it and i heard that may casue crackling

thanks

I'm not sure if the tip would cause it. best i can say is put the old one back on and see what happens.

well if it wasn't crackling before with the same tip, than i doubt that could be the problem.

How's the car running?

nope

cat first started crackling a tiny bit then header, made it way worse.......

Best thing I think i can tell you is check all your gaskets, and if it still doesnt do anything for ya, start crawlin the junk yards man. I know it sucks, but you know they work and it'll be cheaper than buying a new one. just make sure it looks all right. Don't wanna trade shiny junk for rusty junk. No offense, just saying.

Ok, I'll throw my 2 cents in, I've been reading from when you first bought the header. Have you checked the torque on all the bolts that you used to install the header and test pipe, I did mention to you in a past thread that, these bolt can come loose again after reaching operating temperature and would require to be retorqued. have you done that?

a lot of those high flow cats (< $300 variety) use a ceramic catalyst that tends to sound like ass...just an fyi.

wtf?? if your having trouble bolting an exhaust system together right just stop what your doing right now! you have a test pipe installed to add hp? aand a fart pipe? aand cant seem to figure out a donut gasket? does this accord even have a manual trans? like EG6SIR said...give mom and dad the car back bro

give the kid a slight break. While he does seem to have a thick skull at times, he's at least making somewhat of an attempt at learning.

Here's my 2 cents. I never had a cackle issue until I put my cheap $40 ebay "high flow cat" in. It's 100% ineffective. The only reason I really wanted it was to replace the clogged (270k miles) cat I had in there, and oddly this ebay one is cheaper than getting a stock one! I've since upgraded the rest of the exhaust, but if you want to get rid of the cackle, you're gonna have to throw a stock converter back on. Your motor doesn't have the flow to compensate for the drop in backpressure that it's designed to work with, thus it's acting funny.

My reccomendation, just leave it and deal with it. At least when you're on the gas hard it will "work" better.

Here's my second of my two cents 91. While it is fun to work on and modify a car, I think a lot of people on these forums will agree with me that the majority of your work should be making sure you have a reliable functional car. I would invest your money into parts that will net you a difference. Save up for some suspension components to stiffen the chassis up. get some nice wheels with some sticky tires. If I had an accord like yours, I would wait til I had a need for a larger exhaust before putting one on (i.e. cams, pistons, turbo, etc. ). your motor is not one typically associated with lots of bolt on potential.

So here it is. Go put your stock exhaust on, get a cat so you're "legal", then go find a new head and build it up slowly. P and P, cam, springs and valves, etc. once you've got that straightened out, re-ring the bottom end and throw new bearings in, throw the head on, and you'll see a need for a higher flowing exhaust. You should probably build the bottom end too, so for that matter, go find a spare motor.

I know some of this might be difficult for you with your lack of experience, but I won't lie, I learned just by diving in and doing it. I didn't even have a full set of tools the first time I went to pull a motor (99 daewoo!!!!), but I do now (the cherry picker too)! If it's something you really think you'll enjoy for your life, get the tools and start learning. otherwise, re-evaluate your life, get a reliable car and just pay for tune ups and gas like most people out there do.

damn, I typed way too much.

Back