HF 5th gear in a SI case (88-91) Q's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

78civic

Good morning.. NO time to search yet.
Has anyone done this swap? Links would be appreciated too.
I'd like to get best of both worlds without spending tons of $.

I already found out that this HF crx that I have, has a si trans and would like to pop it in my 4dr and since it would be out.. I could get the gears from Honda and swap them in if it's not a big deal. or have to pull the cases apart.

I remember this swap back in the 80's with the 84-87's or the HF civ 5th in the 86-87 teg case also.

I mostly drive 18mi hwy (@70-75mph leagal) to work and don't want to kill my mpg.

Thanks. E

not a big deal to swap the 5th gears, however, you do need to take the transmission apart - it isn't like the 1g CRX, 3g Civic or 1g Integra which had 5th in a separate little case on the back

in addition to the HF .694 5th, you can also use the 5th from the 92-95 Civics which all except the Si models have a .702 5th - the Si models are .750

Last edited:
I've been soo busy that I actually forgot about this thread..
Thanks again for your help sir. (gettin repp'd)

I'll try and keep your info, I'll be swapping engines in a 78 1200 trunk model (D16a1)using a 85-87 si harness probably later this fall or winter..

Errol

It won't let me rep ya..?
It states that "i must first spread some reputation around before giving to you"..???

E

Me again. You state- "5th gear(S)" so there is a main and countershaft set that needs to be changed or is it just one gear?
Thanks again.
E

Me again. You state- "5th gear(S)" so there is a main and countershaft set that needs to be changed or is it just one gear?
Thanks again.
E
yes, gears on both mainshaft and countershaft need to be changed

Are they the same from 88-91's? (i'm on hold as i type with you..)
He states that they only show a si and dx NOT the Hf..?

Could you come up with the right part #'s??
I'd really love the help.
Thank you. Errol

...1988 CRX hf
Countershaft 5th: 23461-pl3-010
Mainshaft 5th: 23581-pl3-000

Does this sound good to ya?

E

Back