HI, my name is 5th gear and reverse

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Guy

the car: 90 crx dx with a b16a, J1 cable transmission, Clutchmasters stage 3 clutch (less that a year old), HD pressure plate, and 7.5 flywheel. Hasport mounts and custom shift linkage

The problem: Just today i noticed a time or two that i was shifting into 3rd when i was trying to shift into fifth. it also ground when i did an aggressive shift into third (it usually doesnt). So trying to back out of my girlfriends driveway tonight i find that reverse is nowhere to be ...missing. After pushing the car out to where i can drive away, i get on the freeway to find that to get into fifth i have to use quite a bit of muscle to shove the shifter in the far top right hand corner to get it into gear. Also there is a ton of play (to the right) in third and fourth gear. Its pretty hard to not have a reverse so ive got to get some ideas of what this is going to be and see about getting it fixed. Im hoping it isnt the shift fork, as getting one for a J1 may present a problem for me. The unusual grind into third makes me wonder if i just may be low on my manual transmission fluid. The amount of play in fourth and third makes me think it may also be a problem with my shift linkage. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks

low on tranny fluid, a chunk of gearing may have broken off into the gears...linkage might be loose, etc. it could be anything.................expensive.

:(

ok problelm solved. As it turns out one of the welds on my shift linkage was bad. got it rewelded and its working great now.

Back