HID lights for the EG

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EGcivicArmyGuy

Modding my ride from Iraq
Does anybody know of or have a link to a good place where I can get my hands on a high quality HID kit for my '92 Civic Sedan?

If you want the highest quality, you want to do an HID retrofit in some clear housing headlights. The best way to go would be to buy some clear housings from ProCarParts (or similar), then cut open the back end and install BMW or Audi bi-xenon projectors. This way you'll have the best beam pattern, use standard HID capsules, and not throw glare everywhere and piss people off. Most HID "kits" will give you really bad road glare.

I like it. I already have a set of TYC clear housing lights. I don't exactly remember where I got them so I can't show you, but do you think those might work? If so, where do I get the projectors you were talking about? Also, do you have any pics of any of these retrofits because I was wondering if it would look weird putting them together like that.

I don't have any links handy at the moment, but if you start searching around for "HID retrofit" you'll find what I'm talking about. I know that there was at least one posted to HondaSwap.

As far as the projectors, you can hunt around the luxury car forums or even on eBay. Search for "HID Bixenon" and you'll find it. You can get a set with ballasts and ignitors for $300-400 most of the time. BMW and Audi are the most popular.

If you have the true TYC housings, then I think you have the best you can get. I was just going to go with cheapies for mine because the reflector pattern doesn't matter if you're going to put an entire projector setup inside. The TYC would be the way to go if you're still using incandescent bulbs. Oh, it's not the one piece right? I didn't think that TYC made a single piece headlight for the sedan.

My Xenon plug-n-play kit wasn't that bad, nor cheap either. I believe it was 8000k and was pretty bright at that.

No, they aren't the one piece and they are most definitely the true TYC housings. I hate to be annoying about all of this, but I'm just a big fan of being thorough so I don't completely screw anything up. As far as the retrofit goes though, am I pretty much cutting a hole in the back of the housing, gutting it out, and then mounting the projectors in there? And do I still have to get the HID plug & play conversion kit as well?

Ok, sounds like you have the right housings then. ;)

Yes, you are basically just cutting out the rear of the housings and then fabbing up a way to mount the HID projectors inside. The headlight housing is just there to support the projector with this type of conversion.

You don't get a typical HID "plug and play" conversion kit. You'll have to source ballasts and igniters for your HIDs. Most of the eBay auctions that sell bi-xenon HID projectors will sell them with the HID capsules, ballasts and igniters too. If you buy a complete setup like that, you can make sure that you don't leave anything out. A "plug and play" kit typically plugs into the location where you used to have your normal H4 bulb. The bases are the same. It's easier, but you don't get nearly as good of a beam pattern, and you'll piss off people on the road.

Here we go again...lol.

I did a little research on the retrofit and the only ones I can find all started out with clear projector housings. I don't have the clear projector housing. I just have the clearing lensed, normal housing. I don't know if you were assuming I had projectors or not, but after looking at the retrofit, I think it might be kind of awkward looking retrofitting a projector lense into my normal housing.

No, I knew what housings you had. Those are the ones that I was going to use. It can look awkward mounted in the regular housing, but I've seen a good number of quality retrofits.

Well, I'm looking at having a lot of money saved up when I get back from Iraq, so I don't really mind throwing some around to have a few things look better. I was thinking that maybe I could just gut everything from the back of the housing except for the outer frame with the mounting brackets on it. Then I could find someone to custom mold some fiberglass to replace it and have it painted. I'm not sure if that gives you a good picture at all, but it's just an idea I was throwing out there. Let me know what you think.

I got mine dirt cheap . mine are 6000k and got mine for like 80 bucks
and they still work.. i had to do some modifiying to make the cut of sheilds have a nice cutoff line so i dint blind people and i removed the cheepo high beam foglight bulb in there they put that i never hooked up i just aimed the headligts up a little to compensate for not having brights and it seems to work fine!

I dont mean to thread jack but calesta seems to know what he is talking about and I had a quick question. Ive got a 93 hatch. I bought a set of projector headlights and a HID conversion kit. The HID is an H1 6k but it doesnt fit into the headlight. this is the headlight.

AdvancedJDMParts.com - Performance Parts and Accessories - 92 93 94 95 HONDA CIVIC JDM HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS BLACK

i was also wondering what the Low beam and Hi beam stats were. H1 is low beam but what is the Hi beam.

My back up plan is to put the HID in for my running lights/turn signal and getting two more HIDs and putting it in for the Low and Hi beam.

Thank you very much for you time.

Please stop advertising HID Kits. They are just HID bulbs, put into a housing not designed to use them.

Read my signature and see how to install HIDs.

H1 is a foglight bulb a lot of projectors for civics and you pretty much need an HID kit so u can se any thing H2 is the high beams on most of these lights which actually work well as regular headlights however there are 2 lights that I'm aware of that use 9006 and 9007 high and low beam bulbs which is a common bulb used for dual beam vehicles personally i would try to find an old 9006 bulb and see if it fits, if it does then you may need to reorder,,

H1 is a foglight bulb a lot of projectors for civics and you pretty much need an HID kit so u can se any thing H2 is the high beams on most of these lights which actually work well as regular headlights however there are 2 lights that I'm aware of that use 9006 and 9007 high and low beam bulbs which is a common bulb used for dual beam vehicles personally i would try to find an old 9006 bulb and see if it fits, if it does then you may need to reorder,,

so will a 9006 light fit a 93 civic hatch? i bought H1 HID lights which do not fit. im guess they dont fit because there fog lights. the after market headlights that i put in have a low beam light and a separate HI beam light. i want to put HIDs in both. what size light to i need to buy?

Why do people keep bringing back old threads? :confused:

the h1 doesnt fit? hmm thats strange mabey you got one of the few kits that have the 9006/9007 bulbs you could try using them most after market projectors use the craptacular h1 bulbs but try a 9007 go to like an auto parts store.. get one.. then put it in.. then take it back and be like it dint fit lol then ull know if thats the bulb or not.. if not there are a few other possibilitys it could be wich i cant imagine they are.. they could be h7 wich are used in VW and Audi but i cant imagine they would be ... i would take the stock bulbs that came in the lights and go to an auto part store and just compare all of them im sure ull find one that fits.. and if the bulb was an h1 bulb.. you may want to contact the person you bought the HIDs from and tell them that it dint fit or they sent the wrong bulbs

Back