High compression, diesel sounding idle??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gocivicls

I have an all motor LS build, and I am 150 miles in on my break in. I have worked on the idle everyday now for 3 days. It sounds ruff like a diesel engine, and has cut off about 5 times. When I am sitting at a stop light and rev real quick to about 2k and let off. 1 out of 10 times It just idles down and cuts off.

Any advise to fix this minor problem????

Edit: Sorry my CR is 11.4:1 and I run 93 octane gas.

The octane gas you are using won't make you sputter out and die. A low octane gas will cause you to knock though. Get a timing light and a Helm's manual on that engine and get the timing set right. Also make sure your ignition system is up to par! Along with your fuel delivery system!

also check your vaccum hoses, I had the same problem with my LS (didn't have a vaccum hose connected properly). Ande it would "try " to idle at like 3-400.

Originally posted by knowledge@Nov 26 2003, 03:36 AM
The octane gas you are using won't make you sputter out and die. A low octane gas will cause you to knock though. Get a timing light and a Helm's manual on that engine and get the timing set right. Also make sure your ignition system is up to par! Along with your fuel delivery system!

I know what knocking and pinging is, and that low octane gas causes it. Now I just would like to have a smoother idle, that doesn't cut off. I have a Hanes manual and I have went through all the steps. I don't have a timing gun so I am kinda working in the dark.

Stage 2 bullfrogs. The idle was fine before I upped the CR. Besides that the only changes are Valve springs, Skunk2 mani, and I used a GSR TB to bypass the fast idle thermo valve. For cooler air of coarse.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Nov 26 2003, 09:43 AM
also check your vaccum hoses, I had the same problem with my LS (didn't have a vaccum hose connected properly). Ande it would "try " to idle at like 3-400.

The only vacuum hose not connected is the one that goes from the catch can to the LS Throttle Body. I used GSR TB and it has no vacuum port at the top like the LS one does.

Back