High Compression engine Bolt On response

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Utrax42

I'm going to be running around 11.4-1.0 CR and am wondering how much a cam will affect my performance. I'm not 100% decided on what cam to run if any, as I'm on a tight budget. I'm looking at a stage one cam. So what kind of gains have you guys seen in your High CR motors w I/H/E when you put on a cam? Thanks

I agree...they're expensive and you see minimal gains

Stage two....most good companies have a decent stage two that has 'stock like' idle still. I never grown to like the sound of a lobbing Honda....

Look into reviews on cams...you'll find some good stuff to help you narrow it down

I heard the Crower "stage 1" is amazing for the price and power it puts out. I'm not saying it'll jump your power from 130hp to 160hp or anything. I am using the Crower "stage 1" 63441Y camshaft with my stock valve train, I decided on this ONLY because I was rebuilding the head anyway and thought a performance cam would be more durable than a stock cam.

Cams (IMO) are for when you have something happening in the bottom end that the cams can help release (more hp)

If you bottom end is stock....results are minimal...thus not price efficient.

If you leave the stock valve springs...whats the point of having a better cam if the springs wont let you rev higher? (when the bottom end is built)

This gentleman has raised compression (from some bottom end mod's) so stage two would give him better results (bang for the buck)....with valve springs, chipped ecu (for rev limiter, and fuel/air ratio) and a dyno tune. VTEC engagement too but not sure if his motor is VTEC

He could get an extra 20hp (maybe even to the wheels) with the right set up and tune.

Sorry, I didn't read the part about his bottom end being beefed up. If you can afford to do springs, retainers, valve stems, and a camshaft that would be an excellent thing to do. I did mine more for the fun of rebuilding an engine for my first time.

I probably won't cam yet then. I don't have the cash for springs, retainers ect. But what brand would you guys recommend for the spring/retainers? Something not too expensive that gets the job done. Thanks
O and yes Its Vtec D16Z6. As for the CR I'm going to be running OEM PG6 pistons, so valve clearance on stage 2 might become a problem. sorry for not clarifying that earlier.

cams shouldnt have much to do with the bottom end actually... it all depends on the headflow..

I have been always told that bottom end predicts what top end can do....flow is very important too...don't get me qwrong but it makes sense to have a built bottom end if you expect to get any significant power from cams, springs, etc.

If you leave the stock valve springs...whats the point of having a better cam if the springs wont let you rev higher?

:werd:

I don't really see the point in spending money on expensive after-market cams if you're not going to do the supporting mods that will allow you to fully utilize the cams...

I'm not sure about clearance....but I've read that PG6 pistons on your set up need a small amount taken out of the piston for valve relief...not sure though...you should look into it.

Cams...I'm not sure on brands. Opinions differ.

Skunk2 were the first big company to make a decent VTEC cam that actually got good results.

But its been years and years so technology and such...its all up for different opinions.

Bisimoto is a brand that some like. Some like Crower and Toda and on and on.

Look into them and see who says what about your set up

Or......someone chime in??

I am only putting in an aftermarket camshaft because I wanted a more stronger metal than OEM. Plus OEM cams will cost about the same as an aftermarket cam will. I am only spending $245 shipped to my door, is that expensive for a "Stage 1" aftermarket cam?.

Bisimoto>Crower/Toda/Skunk. Everything he makes is custom-catered.

Don't underestimate stock camshaft! From what I've seen on the SOHC VTEC cams; the OE cams are designed very well....not to mention hollowed out from the factory!.

Hey thanks for the response, it only makes sence though. I will look into prices for OEM camshafts for my y8. I have a bone stock set-up with a "stage 1" camshaft and it will run very similar to an OEM camshaft. I bought an adjustable cam gear and should really run a "Stage 1" camshaft though, correct?.

I've honestly haven't seen much Stg 1 cams for a D-series. The favorite "budget" cam seems to be the Crower Stg. 2 or Zex/Crane 53100/105100.

If I get a Crower "Stage 2" camshaft won't I have to do performance valve stems, valve stem seals, stiffer springs, and retainers?.

Nope. Even if you did get a bigger cam; main thing you'd want to upgrade is the valvesprings. You don't necessarily need new valves, etc.

Really?, awesome. So in essence I could buy a "Stage 2" camshaft for about the same price as a "Stage 1" then just buy stiffer springs to accomodate for that?. Also will this do anything for power with the stock setup?.

Back