High Idle and Black Sute Out Tail Pipe!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Accordturbo94

I just need to know what could be to problem and a way to solve this: I start my car up and it revs fairly high.. about 2,200! than after warm up the revs go up and down for awhile before its back at 2,200. Ive searced the forums and the tech article about fixing it.. but it just touched base. Im not an idiot and can figure most things out.. this ones odd.. a few weeks ago i got my car out of storage and it was idleing fairly high.. and so i timed it and screwed the throttle body screw in to bring idles down to about 900! I was like yea i got this figured out.. now its back to being pazzest. Ive unplugged the IAC and the idle goes down so i know it shouldnt be that! I know i have a bad 02 too... like the title says.. theres also black sute... (unburned gas) that drips out the tail pipe! The ecu was chipped to mugen specs (so they say haha) so i know it dumps in a bit more fuel.. I dont think they would at idle but you never know. but when i play with my vafc i can go in to narrow throttle and bring down the fuel from there and it idles a lot better. Im just afraid of it hurting the motor so i dont leave it there! Any suggestions? Im kind of stuck with this ecu so please dont tell me to swap in the normal p13... FIY its an h22.. basic mods... only mods to fuel system is the AEM fuel rail and B&M fuel gauge!

it started when u got the ecu? If so I would have the chips fuel and timing maps checked out, because they advance the timing and dump more fuel, but usually not enough to really screw with the idle and have gas dumping out the exhaust.

Im thinking IACV time, I got a write-up on it im working on. Its pretty easy, only takes an hour or two. Ill Have pics and stuff for the write up tomorrow, i left the disk at work.

Its weird guys... its like an off and on thing.. I just got it running great a few days ago like I said.. than I figured out another problem with my car (vtec not engageing right because lack of air from airfilter) wait... I just am thinking here now! awhile back i figure out why my car wouldnt engage vtec strong and it was because the airfilter got to far up on the intake tube cutting air supply... so when i figured that out.. shit was good.. and if i remember right it was still idling good... but than all of a sudden the idle sits at 2200-2300 than after a minute or two it starts idling up and down than if i keep driving it it.. it stops idling up and down and stays at 22 or 23! Basically what im saying is maybe the only reason why i recently got it idling properly was because i was cutting air supply off... but than again thats may not be intierly true

check all your vaccuum hoses(especially the Fuel Pressure Regulator(that will cause your engine to idle messed up). also sounds like idle up and down could be IACV...

dude my car is fuckin retarded! Just last night it started to idle @ 1100... which IMO is way better than 2400 for the time being... I swear hondas piss me off! lol... anyone else know what it could be.... and why i have unburnt gas when im parked all over the ground

intake manifold gasket- i've said this a thousand times, but there is a pretty good chance that the IM gasket is causing this- I would put money on it def. being some type of vacuum leak, regardless of where it is though- it's a 5 dollar part, my prelude did this when i had the blown gasket- The ECU ran the fugger rich as hell because it was losing air out of the intake manny and didn't know what to do- tip was black with carbon deposit and it idled either high or irratic- now get wrenching!

PS- sute is not a word- k thnx- it's soot

Yeah I have the hondata intake manifold gasket! its plastic... thats fine... and i checked to make sure all the bolts were there and tight! fuck hondas!

check the coolent temp sensor could be causin it to run rich. but the high idle im stumped on.

gl :shrug2:

Originally posted by Accordturbo94@Mar 11 2004, 12:54 AM
no one knows huh? typical for this board

as for your idle problem, it sounds to me like you have air in the cooling system. bleed the head while your dumping in water/coolant. the coolant is what shuts your FIT valve. i can almost guarantee that's what it is since you have no vacuum leaks. as far as you having so much unburnt gas, half of it is because of the mugen program and my guess is the other half is from a roasted catalytic converter. hope this helps.

Hey guys Ive also noticed... the heat isnt as hot as it used to be! and the gauge is still working properly... right under the middle level line! anything else

more fuel = cooler charge temps

i dont know if your dumping in enough fuel to feel this effect in your heater, but i doubt it.

Back