High Idle Problem.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Grifter

Just put a skunk 2 intake on my B18C

Now it idles way to high and it wavers, but if I take off the intake and stick my finger into a manufactured hole in the inside of the throttle body towards the rear side of the engine, right before the butterfly it works great.

There is quite a bit of suction in that hole.
I am throwing a code for the IAT sensor as well.

Do I have a seal out of place?

I’m not sure what might be wrong here.

Would it help anyone if I posted some pictures?

I put some duct tape over the hole and drove around. Its like a new car once that inlet is plugged.

hey dude, ok iat sensor = intake air temp. sensor, on gsr's its on top of the intake manifold on the pass side. check to see if you connected it for sure, and that little hole that you are putting your finger on sounds like its the idle air control hole, it goes into your idle air control valve (IAC) on the back of the intake, that valve opens and closes to adjust your idle, example , if you start your car and its cold, the idle is high, and as it warms up that valve brings the idle down gradually sounds like you dont have it hooked up or it is inoperable.

p.s the IAT is a two wire connector, like i said, top side of the intake MANIFOLD, on the passenger side right after the throttle body! check it out!

and the IAT can cause a high idle on its own so go after that fix first brotha! :)

Wires seem fine, I just dissconnected and then reconnected so I know I have the right wires.

I might have damaged the sensor when moving it over.

is there a way to test the sensor?
is there a way to test the IAC?

Ok, went back outside.

IAT sensor is on the driver’s side but I believe that it used to be on the passenger side on the factory intake

When I start the car (without plugging the hole) the car jumps to about 2400RPM and stays there... once warmed up the car will pulse from 1000 to about 2200RPM

When I start the car (with the hole plugged) the car jumps to 2000RPM for about 2 seconds and sits at 1000RPM.

If I unplug the IAT sensor at any time (plugged or unplugged) it makes no difference.
Should I be able to measure voltage across the IAT sensor? Resistance?

This is the first nice day we have had, a winter without my car is killing me. I cant drive the winter beater (Taurus) another day. 

it dosent matter where it is on the old and new intake manifold. when you put your finger over this hole your talking about its doning the same thing that it would normaly. what you need to do is go ahead and get a new one and get the seals with it. also check the voltage on the wire to make sure there working properly.

let me know what you find
ya boy steveo

Sensor is on order (comes with the O ring.)

37880-PE2-013
Costs $57.55 canadian

(if you arrived at this thread because you have the same problem as me that should help you)

Well now after replacing the IAT 2 out of the 3 engine codes are now gone.

Still throwing code 20 (Electronic Load detector)

Went like this
Unplug ECU
remove old IAT
Install new IAT
plugin ECU (about 5 minutes after being unplugged so codes were cleared)
Turn Ignition to on (not started)
Car throws code 20

Went back 20 min later to test and the battery was dead.
With the old sensor the battery never died.

I though GSR engines didnt have electrical load detector circuits. I thought it was located in the fuse box, Does my CX civic fusebox have an electronic load detector.

How can I tell where the short is? Is it a short?

not gonna be able to mess with the idle screw becuse it is sealed from the factory thats if your using the factory throttle body. trust me i tried what it was IAT sensor was stuk open and not working properly. on the electric load detector let me check on that and let you know.

ya boy steveo

Originally posted by 96CIVICLS@May 1 2005, 06:54 AM
not gonna be able to mess with the idle screw becuse it is sealed from the factory thats if your using the factory throttle body. trust me i tried what it was IAT sensor was stuk open and not working properly. on the electric load detector let me check on that and let you know.

ya boy steveo
[post=493589]Quoted post[/post]​

I just replaced the IAT yesterday... same problem with old and new IAT.

check your wires for voltage. you could have a leak somewhere else then that and thinking its that. Im bettin you do. check to see if its geting power first. if all is kool then you have a leak some where else. let me know

ya boy steveo

Back