High octane Loses power

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by odnet@Jul 18 2003, 05:17 AM
Octane booster not required and not recommended in cars with headers and an exhaust. make something significant internally, then it's a different story. nuff said.

Oh and you brought up octane boosters. Everyone thinks that if they put a bootle of that stuff into some 91 octane, it will boost you up to 95-100+. Octane boosters will boost you up to maybe 91.05 or 91.1. Even if your octane booster is rated at 101 or what ever, your mixing a quart with like 5-10 gallons of 91.

Think of it this way, you piss in your pisser, maybe 1.6 gallons, the water turns yellow, now go piss in a Jaccozzi (please not one that I go to or others for that matter) it stays clear. Is there piss in both sets of water? yes, but the spa would be super water down, no one would even notice. The octane booster averages out to basicly a few tenths of an octane point.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Jul 18 2003, 12:14 PM-->
liquid00meth
@Jul 18 2003, 11:50 AM
dude it's only like 20cents more a gallon for high octance. Thats 2$ per tank. My attitude is that I'd rather spend the extra 2$ and be sure I have the best gas.

but what they're saying is it *isn't* the best gas for our applications.

I don't know about you guys, but on my BPU DX motor, I have my timing advanced the maximum by the distributor rotating method. I figured that was a given. That is reason enough to use the better gas

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jul 18 2003, 10:20 AM-->
@Jul 18 2003, 05:17 AM
Octane booster not required and not recommended in cars with headers and an exhaust. make something significant internally, then it's a different story. nuff said.

Oh and you brought up octane boosters. Everyone thinks that if they put a bootle of that stuff into some 91 octane, it will boost you up to 95-100+. Octane boosters will boost you up to maybe 91.05 or 91.1. Even if your octane booster is rated at 101 or what ever, your mixing a quart with like 5-10 gallons of 91.

Think of it this way, you piss in your pisser, maybe 1.6 gallons, the water turns yellow, now go piss in a Jaccozzi (please not one that I go to or others for that matter) it stays clear. Is there piss in both sets of water? yes, but the spa would be super water down, no one would even notice. The octane booster averages out to basicly a few tenths of an octane point.

Umm, most octane booster says it will increase the octane of a 10gallon gas tank 3 pts, meaning if you are running 10 gallons of 91, then with the octane booster it bumps it to 94. Read the bottle mang.

welp seeing that in my area the only octane levels available are 87 89 93 and sunoco has 94
ill stick to 93
im not about to put 89 in a JDM ITR engine

and when i go to the track i will continue to put $20 worth of 100 in
if im going to be out there reving the piss out of the engine for 30 min at a time id rather have $20 worth of insurance against blowing the engine the fuck up than 2 more HP

JDM ITR is a different story, now this is a guess; "If you got your engine manual, if you could decipher Japanese, it would probably give a minimum much higher than here in USDM."

now, let me use my business skills.

1. Some company in Saudi Arabia Pumps out oil from earth.
2. Crude Oil is placed in a drum.
3. That drum is now into shares on its way to a country.
4. Let's say 20% of that oil is used for gasoline(general). 80% head off to Valvoline and some plastics manufacturer.
5. Of 20%, some gasoline refinery must choose what to mass produce.
6. Head honcho realizes 70% of all vehicles need 86oct to run.
7. Head honcho then sends off half of that 70% to Ethanol labs.
8. Then since Diesel fuels are required for a lot of vehicles, makes 25% for diesel consumption.
9. Finally, to stimulate a market, Head Honcho uses 5% of the oil to produce a higher octane gasoline for Pimp Rides, and since 5% is a short supply compared to Regular Gasoline, it goes to the same price of diesel, about $0.10~0.20 per gallon higher.
10. Overall, premium gasoline is usually created from 1~2% of a drum of oil. That's why it costs so much, that and it needs a seperate refining process.

The above should prove that you are not paying for performance at all, you are paying for a shortage. 90~93 will not harm a Honda motor, but it's more or less like using champagne over beer, both have the same effect, champagne costs more. :blink:

Back