high octane race gas in a stock motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ahedau

I found a source for cheap high octane fuel. 99, in fact. I autocross my car in DSP and am therefore restricted from doing any meaningful modifications to the motor.

Since the compression is still stock what benefit, if any, would I gain by running the higher octane gas? Wouldn't it require a hotter plug too?

Just askin' Thanks!

Basicly it would do nothing.

A higher octane is harder to ignite. This is helful in high heat and high compression engines to prevent predetination (sp? it's late) A turbo or built NA car would be cases where a higher octane would be needed. However, with the right tuning, even some 400+ hp honda can run on normal preimum grade gas. Race gas just allows them to run higher levels of boost.

Since your in DSP, I know that your not running 12:1+ compression or a shit load of boost.

Also, since were talking about it, really, in autocross, DSP expessailly, since you can't do to much to the car other then good tires and decent suspension setup, it's all about the drivers skill, not the extra .5 hp gain/loss by doing something slightly diffrent.

that's what I thought but at $2.50 a gal I figured it might be worth a few gallons to try.

In DSP the car mods are all about tires, shocks, tires, springs, tires, sway bars, LSD, and TIRES! Divisionally, the winner in the DSP class could probably beat you driving your own car!!

Its driver first, car second. That's what I like about the class. You can beat faster cars once you learn how to drive. I have a magnet that puts it this way:

Drag racing is for fast cars, Autocross is for fast drivers!

Originally posted by ahedau@Jul 21 2004, 01:56 AM
Divisionally, the winner in the DSP class could probably beat you driving your own car!!
[post=366102]Quoted post[/post]​

That I know for a fact.

Originally posted by Blanco@Jul 21 2004, 03:02 PM

This sounds like an interesting story. :D
[post=366371]Quoted post[/post]​

no not really. I just know that my car is a shit load more capible then what I put it through. There's one thing holding me back in my setup, and thats the driver.

if you use too high of an octane not all the gas will be burned and carbon will build so you'd be wasting money and building up carbon

Back