High pitch whistling after skunk2 install

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

davehilario

Just finished installing a skunk2 IM. I now get this high pitched whistle when I accelerate. It's not like a whistle that I am used to hearing coming from a CAI. I think it is coming from my throttle body because I didn't use a new gasket. I used a Hondata for the IM but the TB still has the same one made out of paper. Any ideas? I also heard that the high pitch whistle is a result of not port matching my stock 60mm TB to the 65mm skunk2. But if I just need to replace the TB gasket, that would save me a lot of time and money. Just want to get some opinions before I get to work. Thanks in advance.

yeah, you definitely have a leak somewhere. change the gasket and see what happens.

stick your head in the engine bay and listen closely to see what you can hear.

well, ive heard that the Skunk2 manifold whistles.. a bad gasket will cause idle surging, not a whistle

also, when the engine has first been started, you can use a spray bottle of water and look for the bubbles around where you think the leak is comming from.

well, go ahead.. but i dont think there is anything wrong with it.. the Skunk manifolds are known for whistling

does the car run fine??

Mine has a low pitch whistle but it's coming from the short ram intake (AEM)

All the Skunk2 manifolds I've seen whistle like that. Also, my AEBS manifold whistles. I think it is just something in the design.

yea, dont worry about it. it probably only does it at certain throttle poisitions right? i doubt you hear it at WOT. mine did the same thing, dont worry about it.

Hey guys,

So I swapped out my old TB gasket with a new one from the dealership and the whistle is still there but not as much as before. There was an improvement. It's more faint than high pitched so I'm happy with the result. So to anybody who is going to do the skunk2 swap, use new gaskets for the IM and TB. Even if the old ones appear to look good enough to reuse, they are not. They're made out of paper so they lose adhesiveness as soon as you take them off. Yes, the whistle only occurs every 2500 rpm, so it must be the characteristic of the skunk2. I haven't really felt a loss in torque but there is a bit of gain in the mid range. Thanks again for everybody's suggestions.

i told the the TB gasket wasnt it.. the Skunk2 manifold is known to whistle

yeah, but the new gasket definitely got rid of the high pitch so there was a little air leak within the TB. if i could do it over again, i wouldn't have swapped out my IM. too much time. i'd rather save up and cop a CBR.

Back