high quality, high performance pistons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fast sol

hey bros

my first post here, basically i found this site because of an upcoming engine swap ill be doin on my 93 del sol. i bought a 1992 B18, i dont plan on running turbo anytime soon, if at all but im gonna gut out the engine and rebuild it, im a mechanic for general motors and I'm extremely mechanically inclined, im not over my head by any means with the whole rebuild and what not however i figured that i would ask on you guys who have more knowledge on the tuning aspect of these engines, i havent been on this scene long enough to know all the major piston manufacturers etc. im trying to determine what pistons to run in this engine, im looking for something pretty durable, im not too concerned with getting the absolute most horsepower if it means worrying about my engine blowing up all the time. basically jsut hit me up with some tips and advice if at all possible, any help would be appreciated, as well if anyone has done this swap before let me know of any problems you ran into, im going into this swap deal blindfolded basically but im not scared to fuss with this for a bit, i got all winter!! :) thanx

paul

if you are going to stay all motor, build for high compression.

but, that may be limited by availible octanes of gas in your area. some places get dicked with 91 as the max, where as i can get 94 anywhere, and 100 if i drive for 20 min.

in the LS, i highly recommend the JDM b16 pistons. OEM, cheap, and raise the ls to just over 11:1. thats good for a substantial boost in power.
add a good cam, and some head work!!!! the b18a's heads flow like shit!! port it out

thanx man, B16 pistons??? really? wow, thats interesting, not that im questioning you but whats the difference and why do they boost the compression, i take it they are the same diameter but what about the stroke?? the b18 stroke is longer... ill look into that though, thanx man,

and yeah i was thinking of doin a cam and maybe some decent valve springs, and i have a guy waiting for my head to be port and polished too! ;)

also for the gas i can get 94 here anytime so its all good, no worries in that department.

and for this swap, am i gonna have to get custome drive axles, and ive been told that a mount kit wont be needed, but i find it hard to believe!!

b16 pistons have a higher dome so that increases the cr. pistons will not affect your stroke, only your crank determines that.

the stroke isn't that much overwhelming than the GSR's, the ls has ~a 2mm more stroke than its GSR brother. BUt hey, every little bit helps, it won't hurt it. And try to get either an ITR/SiR tranny for optimal gearing and that will make a big difference in numbers as far as ET's are concerned.

Back