High Reving B18a w/ B16 crank?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

luckycrx

Hi. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to tinkering with engine building and I'm curious about putting a b16 crank in my b18a. What are the benefits/drawbacks? What else is needed to make it work?

I was thinking of a b16 crank, knife edged, micropolished...and type r pistons? Is this possible? What rods would I need?

If you've never rebuilt an engine then I would suggest that you don't try your first rebuild on a hybrid block.

I was planning on paying for the build, but my mechanic asked me to find some information that would be needed to successfully do this. He builds V8s...so isn't fully up to snuff with imports

Not a good idea for a buyer and builder with little Honda knowledge. If you have a B18A complete bottom, use that crank (micro polish only) and rods (shot peen'd) all you need is a set of P30 or CTR pistons, rings and the correct OEM bearings for your B18A. Oh....and ARP rod/head bolts.

With that set up, you'll have a nice N/A bottom end that can have the B18A head or with a conversion, a B series VTEC head. Make sure the machinist at least looks up bearing tolerances for the crank journal/rods and uses plastigauge for bearing clearances.

Why do you want to rev high? a b18 with a B16 crank is pointless, Both B16 and B18 use 81mm bore. Why not buy a B16? and how high are you Planning on reving?

8k? 10k? 12k?

Anything above 8krpm you will need to have forged rods with forged pistons. for the bottom end. For the top end you will need Aftermarket Valve springs, valves, cams, ported head, ect ect.

Revving high on a stock engine is stupid. read and read some more.

Not pointless at all- what do you think the B16B is? B16 stroke inside a taller B18 block with long rods... the rod/stroke ratio you get from this combination gives you a pretty sweet torque curve. Not a huge one, but a very nice and flat one.

So im guessing B18 block with B16b rods? I would really think he could make more power and torque if he just uses his stock crank and makes it a LSV with higher compression and tune.

Crower, Eagle, etc. may have rods that'll work(if not, I'm sure they can make it for you). I have some ~140mm rods that I got from Crower that I'm using in my D15 build, and I believe they had other sizes available(they're intended for Dart blocks).

B16B rods will not work on a B16A crank due to having a more narrow BE width(this would lead to oil pressure issues).

With the B16 crankshaft, best bet is to just use CTR pistons. ITRs are close to B16 pistons.

I'd personally say don't do it because there's much more potential with a larger stroke. If anything, maybe B17 crank in B18 block. Main benefit is less stress and friction when revving high, and more piston dwell time.

Last edited:
I would really think he could make more power and torque if he just uses his stock crank and makes it a LSV with higher compression and tune.

That's honestly the most economical way...

B16B rods will not work on a B16A crank due to having a more narrow BE width(this would lead to oil pressure issues).

That's what I was looking for. I wasn't sure on this.

Back