High speed chase, geo metro walks away

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
The Morning News: News : Police Chase Car At High Speeds

A white Geo Metro, sporting a 70 horsepower engine, managed to elude officers from four Northwest Arkansas law enforcement agencies in high-speed chase Tuesday.

Police are searching for the man thought to have been driving the car, Charles Hammons, 32, of Springdale.

The car, which police say reached speeds of 110 mph, led them from Thompson Street in Springdale, where Springdale officers attempted to stop the vehicle for fictitious tags at approximately 10:10 a.m.

The driver floored the Metro, with police in pursuit.

The chase continued south on Thompson and west on Main Street in Johnson. The chase went down Main Street in Johnson at 60 mph, according to Chris McCarville, public information officer for the Springdale Police Department.

The Metro’s driver steered his vehicle on Interstate 540 and headed north, turning west on U.S. 412. He turned onto Old Highway 62 and the chase continued over several county roads in Benton County with Springdale police, the Arkansas State Police, the Benton County Sheriff’s Office and the Washington County Sheriff’s Office all in pursuit. The pursuit went cold at 10:28 a.m. when a Springdale police car wrecked on Logan Cave Road in Benton County.

Officers lost sight of the vehicle somewhere near Springtown after Springdale officer Stacy Bohannan lost control of the police car on the dirt road, spun out and hit an embankment. She was not injured in the wreck. The chase lasted 18 to 19 minutes and covered 24 miles, police said.

A female passenger in the car managed to get out of the vehicle after police lost the speeding car on Benton County back roads.

Hammons has an outstanding warrant for failure to pay traffic summons, McCarville said. Officers said they recovered what was believed to be marijuana thrown from the car at the beginning of the chase.

Benton County sheriff’s deputies found the woman passenger walking along Arkansas 112 after she got out the vehicle.

She is not being charged and is cooperating with police, McCarville said.

High-speed chases are always a cause for concern, McCarville said.

“Anytime something like that happens, it’s always a scary situation,†McCarville said, “especially with all the traffic we have in the area these days. As far as I know, all the protocol for pursuits were followed.â€

She probably got off after promising to instruct the police force on high-speed evasion tactics. Lol.

Bud Light Salutes . . . Real Men of Genius . . . Mr. Drive Away in a Geo Metro Guy . . . No one like you can make a Geo Metro go . . . No one like you can out run the cops . . . Your driving too fast now . . . Only man like you can make cop wreck on dirt road . . . Only you can leave them in the dust . . . Ohhhhhhhh my asthma . . . So Bud light salutes you, oh Andretti of dirt . . . cuz no one but you . . . .can get away with only 70 horsepower. . . . .Mr. Drive Away in a Geo Metro Guy

Probably a repost, but who cares. Too good to forget.

I'm going to say that the "110 mph" nonsense was gross over estimation by the officers. Unless that thing had a fucking vette engine in it, no way. I've driven one, it barely gets up to 70 without shaking uncontrollably.

Maybe it was a turbo firefly, not a metro.

EDIT:
Haha, or they didn't want to admit that they lost a metro on backroads.

ROFL

Yeah, the 110mph was probably an overestimation. Remember the police chase on South Park when Cartman and Kyle were on Big Wheels? Yeah, reminds me of that.

Last edited:
I would think that a Geo Metro doing 110 would actually float away to Balloon Land.

It'd blow up. The speedometer only goes up to 85, and you would need one hell of a long ass downhill perfectly smooth road to even get it up to that.

maybe it had a really big spoiler on the back. metro w/o spoiler = 70mph..... metro w/spoiler = 110mph.

maybe it had a really big spoiler on the back. metro w/o spoiler = 70mph..... metro w/spoiler = 110mph.

don't be rediculous......obviously it musta had chinese symbol stickers in conjuction with a spoiler to reach those speeds!

it's surely possible. it probably just took 15 of those 19 min to get up there.
jsut leave it in 3rd and wing it out :D

My money is on the cops lying. It was probably some 72 year old man sitting on a milk crate that spit on the cop and took off with his rascle in the back.

I owned a metro. 90mph is pretty much all it can do. I did manage to get mine up to 100+ but that was in a wind storm in new mexico with the wind at my back and a super long straight bump free road. And I had an intake and exhaust on it, lol.

The car, which police say reached speeds of 110 mph, led them from Thompson Street in Springdale, where Springdale officers attempted to stop the vehicle for fictitious tags at approximately 10:10 a.m.
which police say reached speeds of 110 mph
They all lie.

I just read an article in Car and Driver in which they tested a 98 Metro against a Prius and Insight.

The Metro topped out at 87 mph. 0-60 in 15.9 sec. and a 20.3 1/4 mile @ 65mph

It did get 42 mpg though.

the Suziki Swift looked just like the Metro and came with a turbo

wasnt there a story out of austrailia a few years ago about pretty much this same thing?
yep here it is :)
Hatchback hate: Lamborghini chased - National - smh.com.au

i ran from the cops in my insight on a few occasions
its really not that hard to get away from most of those non driving asshats

and just for the record
my insight topped out at 113mph (3rd gear redline)

My metro got 55mpg with a few small mods and careful driving. By the time I was done with it, with stupid careful driving, intake, exhaust, very skinny hard tires that were overinflated, and drafting semis on road trips I was pulling 74mpg.

Makes me marvel at these wonder mobiles that are packed with technology bragging about 38mpg.

The keys to mpg: slippery body, driving correctly, tiny motor so it can opperate near peak efficiency while cruising, hard skinny tires, and no weight to drag around with it. Simple formula.

Back