higher wattage bulb ok?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
well, my roommate has a 2010 VW CC R-Line .. he's wanting to get rid of the amber rear signals and go with some red ones.. problem is, cant find any 5009 or 7507 red bulbs that arent LED .. found some 1156 red ones but the wattage is 27w vs 12w stock bulbs ... is this a big enough difference to cause heat/melting problems?

or is he better off just ordering some red bulb caps/covers?

i would not do anything to piss off the wiring system in a VW
ever.

reading up.. chrome/red are more pink than red... probably get the slip over bulb covers from pepboys.. red over amber should be plenty red

for what its worth, the wifes RSX has red tint film over the amber part of the lenses where the turn signals are, and signals flash 100% red day or night.

it'd be pretty hard to get to that to tint it

here is what the tails look like, except he has his smoked
tail_light.jpg

I accidentally a single filament bulb in my brake light in my S4 and I blew three fuses :facepalm:

My 74 super beetle had some tempermental electrical issues. I guess vws have always had them.

we noticed half his brake like was out.. went to change the bulb and the socket for the bulb melted the bulb in place.. gotta replace the whole bulb holder.. guessing someone put the wrong wattage bulb in there and it got too hot

well, my roommate has a 2010 VW CC R-Line .. he's wanting to get rid of the amber rear signals and go with some red ones.. problem is, cant find any 5009 or 7507 red bulbs that arent LED .. found some 1156 red ones but the wattage is 27w vs 12w stock bulbs ... is this a big enough difference to cause heat/melting problems?

or is he better off just ordering some red bulb caps/covers?

Why not LED? Get the good ones:

BAU15S LED Brake Light, Turn Light and Tail Light Bulbs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

bau15s-new-store.jpg

If there were an error free led he might... but without putting a resistor or new flash relay it would cause hyper blinking

New flasher is like $20... and some of the newer higher end LED replacements come with resistor packs in them already.

Back