Highest safe headbolt torque D16Z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

(o)(o)

Hey, all. I just replaced the head gasket on my 95 EX Coupe, as it had overheated on the previous owner and I bought the car to fix. I used all new Honda parts, including the headbolts and headgasket. I also had the head pressure tested and milled (about 5 thou) by a shop with excellent reputation. I cleaned the deck really well with a nylon brush.

The Chilton says to torque the head to 46 lbs. Using my brand new click type torque wrench, I torqued the head to 47 lbs (I used high temp lube on the bolts), but the gasket is not sealing. It's blowing a little bit of steam out the tailpipe, and the radiator level goes down. The motor starts easily, it idles fine and smooth, and coolant temp stays normal. I've only let it idle a total of 10 minutes, without revving it, until reaching normal temp.

So what's the safest torque I can apply to the head? Would it be safe to torque the head to 55 lbs-ft? Is it going to seal if I let it idle longer? This is the first head gasket I've ever done on my own. Thanks to all.

(o)(o)

you should only be torquing it to spec, no more. if you are leaking maybe the block warped and needs to be decked.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 11 2004, 01:02 PM
:weird:

You probably need to resurface the head and/or block.

That means pulling the engine, right? Ugh! :( And I was looking forward to driving my new (to me) ride.

(o)(o)

If it got hot enough the block can indeed warp more than the head. You'll need to pop it back off, get a machinists straight edge, and some feelers.

Don't get too worried or wrench happy yet. If the head gasket really went, it is not uncommon at all for there to be residual coolant in the exhaust, particularly puddled in the cat. Give it a little while to burn off and then see what's up.

yeah, torqing things like that isn't really "how much can it take" it's more of "what is the spec". You only want to have it within a few lbs of the spec.

Quoted post[/post]]
If it got hot enough the block can indeed warp more than the head. You'll need to pop it back off, get a machinists straight edge, and some feelers.

Don't get too worried or wrench happy yet. If the head gasket really went, it is not uncommon at all for there to be residual coolant in the exhaust, particularly puddled in the cat. Give it a little while to burn off and then see what's up.

Old thread for sure, but you turned out to be correct. There must have been residual coolant in the exhaust. No more white exhaust after about 50 miles or so. I doublechecked the head bolt torque (within spec) and the car has been 100% reliable ever since. :p :p It's my daily driver, and it's still stock.

Back