Highway Cruising RPM?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ericL

What rpm is safe/good to hold at on the highway for a sir2? I was cruising at 4300-4500 yesterday but after cruising around in a wrx it feels weird... i know the motors are nothing alike but i just want to check...thanks

maybe a better question would be what rpm would be an upper limit to sustain for a long period of time?

i have gone on 6 hour highway trips in my sol (JDM ITR swap) i was above 5K most of the time

the engines are built for RPMs its not a big deal

I've heard of people running Type R motors for long periods of time, like hours, on the Autobahn at like 8000 RPM, I'm sure your b16 will be fine @ 5-6K. I really wouldn't worry about it, I've never had problems with my b16 at high RPM's and I've had it for over a year now.

Nice, i figured as much but just thought i'd ask to be sure

ive driven from toronto to boston, which is a 10 hour drive in my sol with a 2000 B16 SiR in it, kept it at a steady 4500 most of the way, except when i got stupid and thought it would be fun to challenge an NSX hahaha, she was perfectly fine for the drive, i saw the temp guage rise up a little once, i turned on high heat, high fan, for a minute, but i had a small single core rad at the time that got ruined by all the god damn bugs on the interstates in america! lol, but yeah, its all good man, you're cool. dont forget that gearing came stock from honda, if it was only gonna last 30 thous. miles honda wouldnt have built it :)

Hey im normally running 85mph at 7900rpm and thas what i cruse at

Originally posted by drpenguin@Aug 13 2005, 04:01 PM
[post=539684]Quoted post[/post]​

Maybe you should shift into 5th, hell maybe even into 4th... WTF are you doing at 8 grand only doing 85mph.

Originally posted by wanderinman+Aug 13 2005, 04:10 PM-->
drpenguin
@Aug 13 2005, 04:01 PM

Maybe you should shift into 5th, hell maybe even into 4th... WTF are you doing at 8 grand only doing 85mph.
[post=539687]Quoted post[/post]​

thats what i was wondering, they didnt include 4th and 5th for no reason, i usually cruise at around 2000 to 2500 rpms unless im in 5th and have to do more. I mean its built to be able to do those rpms but why do them for no reason? Only reason to be that high in the rpms is to be accelerating or if your cruising in 5th.

yeah i agree, thats uh pretty shitty mang unless your turning 22,000 rpm on a 2 speed tranny haha

oh as for your ? EricL yeah thats normal. You must be new to the honda society, so welcome. Have fun turning some crazy R's and hooking up more neon lights than a damn roller disco haha. Honda love .

Originally posted by drpenguin@Aug 13 2005, 10:01 PM

I know a guy that doesn't believe in fifth either, blew up his motor in a month.

Back