Highway speeds, and dies

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kidkg24

Ok so I have a 1991 civic Ex 4 door that I put a 1998 integra B18a1 in. I used the Pr4 OBD0 ecu, and the OBD0 dist. to keep it simple. This motor was running great in the other car. But now here is the problem. When I take the car out and get on the freeway it smells really rich, and if i'm going 65 it's fine, but when i hit the gas to go faster or to pass the car will die. I turn the key off, and back on pop the clutch, and it starts back up. Runs fin till i get back on it then I do the same process. Does anyone know what it might be? I changed the O2, and messed with the distrib. timing. open to any suggestions.. thanks

Maybe your fuel pump is giving out? It's really the only thing I can think of if it was running good in the other car.

Does it only do it in the higher RPM or dependent on throttle angle?

there is no such thing as a 1998 b18a1. The b18a1 ended production in 1993.

do you have a b18b1? what was 'the other car'?

ok I bought a 1998 integra ls that was crashed in the back from a friend. the insurance totaled it, Then I swapped the motor into a 1989 civic. it was running great, and driving good. But the f*ckin car needed so much work I said fuck it, and bought a clean 1991 ex 4 door shell off another friend. Pulled the motor, went to hasport used my warrenty on the mounts. dropped the motor in, wired it, started right up no codes. Drive it, dies starts, and still no codes. I was thinking that maybe it jumped timming a tooth during the swap. That would explain why its running so rich.

well the guy that works in the bay next to me is saying that it is prob. a vacuum leak. where is does not get enough vacuum at higher RPM so it fuel cuts. Does that sound ligit?

No, because at wider throttle there's less vacuum anyways(that's how the ECU works).

It could be bad MAP and/or TPS. Do you have a complete throttle body assembly you can swap and try?

cool ill try it cos in 20days im driving the car 2,700mi from Az to SD then to Wi so i need to fix this so I can cruz and not worry about the damn thing dieing

replaced with swap, do you think it could have got clogged with me only driving it like 300 miles since the swap.

Do you think it could maybe a clogging cat. A stok one was welded into the mandel bent piping for emission purposes. (like maybe its choking out to much back pressure?)

Ok, from what I'm reading here is you have an obd2 motor (from the 98 teg, which was obd2) with a obd0 distributor running on an obd0 ecm.. I'm not sure if the other obd2 sensors will work with the obd0 ecm..

Assuming you went that route, what engine harness did you use?? Because the teg harness will be all wrong..

How did you "wire it up"?

And no, if you're burning super rich, the fuel pump is not the problem. Unbolt the cat from the header and give it a very short test drive, that is an easy thing to test.

Ok the car is a 1991 Ex 4 door. I beleive the chassis code is Std. I used the stock harness. I had put this same motor in a 1989 civic 4 door. rewiring it and the car had so many problems that I pulled the motor back out, and bought this 1991 civic. Same motor, wired it the same with the same diagrams. In the 89 the motor ran great, and never cut off or anything. Thats why i'm trying to figure out whats up.

When I reswapped cars i replaced:
* Fuel filter&Pump (new oem)
* New exhaust with used stock cat.
* New harness -same ecu Pr4 OBD0
* new radiator, and hoses, cap
* differn't resistor box.
* some new vacuum hoses, but not all of them.
* used the Map, and purge off the 1991 fire wall.
* new clutch,and flywheel.

So i am thinking it must be something I changed from car to car. Maybe the pos Pr4 ecu. I hate the pr4. haha

Yeah, with the obd0 injectors, and, sensors. This is the way to make sure your new engine is fresh. Newer year motor, with down graded sensors.

Back