Hit and Run

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

So I got up this morning for school and my roommate came back into the apartment to tell me something happened to my car. Well, some fucker backed up into and totaled the right-rear quarter panel and passenger door (4-door Accord). Anyway, I filled a police report and blah blah.

Heres the question, is it possible to be hit in the rear hard enough to cause problems with the motor? I took it to class because that was my only way to get there and I couldnt miss it because I have an exam coming up. Initially it was alright, but when I tried to start it after class, it would crank up and just die. If i had it to the crank position and let the starter do its thing, it would stay on but as soon as I pulled back, the car would stall and die.

My car was fine before the accident and AAA insurance says it probable that it was broken before. So what are the chances of my car suddenly dying due to the accident?

Thanks guys.

could be electrical
or possibly a kinked fuel line or kink'ed off vent line
its a long shot by try taking the gas cap off and then try starting it

what year car is it?
i know fords have a pain in the dick switch that trips if you slam the brakes or get hit that will shut off your fuel pump

its a 96 4 door honda accord.

i called a couple of local shops and they said what was mentioned earlier, that if its not a ford than the possibility of the accident causing the car not to start is slim.

the problem is i dont want to pay towing and then find out its not related and then pay towing again to another show. thats like $200+ in just towing fees.

anyway, anyone else have experience or anymore comments?

thanks guys.

yeah, im actually trying to get an "associate membership" with my moms account. have to be living with her, but we'll see if we can pull it off.

its a 96 4 door honda accord.

i called a couple of local shops and they said what was mentioned earlier, that if its not a ford than the possibility of the accident causing the car not to start is slim.

the problem is i dont want to pay towing and then find out its not related and then pay towing again to another show. thats like $200+ in just towing fees.

anyway, anyone else have experience or anymore comments?

thanks guys.
check spark and fuel
if its accident related its gonna be fuel
or you have a short and it popped a fuse etc

I added myself to my mom's AAA membership for a total of $3 because its prorated and her account is up for renewal in June :D. So I got my car towed for $3 to the bodyshop.

Anyway, the guy estimates it to be around $4600 to repair for door, entire rear quarter panel and rim. He looked up the retail value of my car and it was like around $6700. He estimated that it might be a total lost and insurances usually cut a check for 70% of retail worth, which is pretty close to the estimated cost of the repair.

So my next question, does anyone know how much AAA pays out if the car is considered a total lost? I fucking hate the thought of car shopping right now, especially when I got other shit on my mind/time.

why would AAA be paying you for a totaled car that was added to the membership after the accident?

No, I have AAA insurance, but not the membership for emergency roadside service. And they wont cover the fee of towing my car because the car not starting may not be related to the accident and blah blah. So I added myself to the emergency service for $3 and got it towed for free with the membership plan.

Owning a car that has had major damage/repair work is no fun. Pray that they total it and buy something else.

Dude, fix it yourself. It will save you money. Nobody will give you what it is really worth as it is now. Buy some used quarter panels and whatever, and just slap em on.
Sure, it won't be done in a day. But you will save money!

At least, that is what I did to my 93' Accord. Simple bolt-on (off) process.
Picked up a front Q panel for 20 bucks at the yard.

A rear quarter panel isnt a simple bolt on job. Or said the shop. Anyway, here are the photos.

Im basically wondering if I should take the full amount for 4700 after my deductiable or take the car and get $3900.

DSCN3650.jpg

DSCN3649.jpg

DSCN3648.jpg

Dude, fix it yourself. It will save you money. Nobody will give you what it is really worth as it is now. Buy some used quarter panels and whatever, and just slap em on.
Sure, it won't be done in a day. But you will save money!

At least, that is what I did to my 93' Accord. Simple bolt-on (off) process.
Picked up a front Q panel for 20 bucks at the yard.
That would be a fender, not a quarter panel. Quarter panels are FAR from a bolt-on/off process and not for the average hondaswapper.

so should i keep it or should i just take the check and run? parting out sounds like a good idea, but i dont want to go through the hassle of trying to find buyers.

post it on Honda-tech as Accord part out.. if all the doors, hood, motor, wheels, brakes are still in decent condition.. .. just keep it posted and people will come to you, no need to find people

Maybe Ill convince my parents to just keep it. Their main concern is that the car had trouble starting right after the accident. Everything would start but as soon as I released it from the igition poisition III, it wouldnt idle or anything and just fall flat. For some weird reason, it started after 2-3 days after the accident, but I havent checked on it again.

Last questions, whats the approx. average to repair that panel and is the damage going to affect the safety of the car?

Back