Holset HX35 Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

newb

phresh
VIP
hey can anyone find specs on a holset hx35? I found one for sale in my area for 250. its in good shape, but i wanna know more about it. This one is externally gated with a T-3 flange. What kind of boost can it safely maintain? On a built cr/vtec what would the spool times be like? Being a holset im thinkin it might have come off an industrial appliaction. Is it even worth $250? Thanks in advance for any info.

www.cummins.com/turbos - Holset HX35

DENT Sport Garage » Archive » Garrett and Holset Turbos

Scroll down about half a page on the second link and you will find this:

"This could be the most technologically advanced bolt on turbocharger available today. Capable of producing more than 500 horsepower at the wheels and able to run in excess of 35 pounds of boost. This Holset HX-35 also comes standard with a “Map Width Enhancement” groove.This could be the most technologically advanced bolt on turbocharger available today. Capable of producing more than 500 horsepower at the wheels and able to run in excess of 35 pounds of boost. This Holset HX-35 also comes standard with a “Map Width Enhancement” groove."

Hope this helps.

Wow... looks like you found a pretty good deal on that turbo. I am green with envy. :D looks like they had some nice things to say on there about my GT28RS too.

most of those hx35's are from diesel pickups. they aren't the best out there, but they do make some good power.

Ya cummins and holset are pretty closely linked, my dads truck actually has an hx on its hi-output 5.9. Daewoo and 2 other foriegn heavy equipment companies use hx35's as much, if not more than cummins tho. When you look at diesel sites they all pretty much say the turbo will support 200-300 HP, but thats on a diesel. Ive seen a few stories of em makin over 500 HP on gas engines. Theyre not ball bearing, but they perform like ball bearing turbos that cost twice as much, and holset has been around forever so i trust the product more than anything else.

I have one laying around off my buddies old 5.9 cummins.. Anyone got any idea on how lag they are?

TIP: Read the post dates before you post

But, to answer your question, Im told on a 1.8 they start to spool a lil 3k.

I was just curious.. I have a t3/t4 hybrid setup on my 1.6L right now. I was just wondering how the hx35 would do compared to the charger I have now

Everyone that runs one in my area that Ive talked to is happy with em. But, like any other turbo you just gotta have the right supporting mods.

Can you tell me which turbo is actually larger, the t3/t4 hybrid or the hx35? What rpm do they both start spoolin?

Just do some searchin and you can answer your own question. At the top of this page there are links to specs on the HX35's (theres 2 or 3 different sizes), and google will turn up all kinds of info on T3/T4's.

How are you guys hooking the downpipe up on this turbo? Since its a V band clamp style off of the cummins trucks.. Are yall changing the whole exhaust flange out or making downpipes with v band clamps on the ends??

Are you guys swapping smaller exhaust housing onto these turbos or just bolting the hx35 straight up and running it as it

Depends on what you want from it. I believe that the 12cm housing is the most popular, but I havent done any research on the Holsets in a long time, so Im not positive.

So around 3200rpms on a 1.8L is that with the stock exhaust housing it comes with?

Like said before, it comes in 3 different sizes. The spool time will vary depending on which size it is.

As for the exhaust, why not just go vband with your exhaust? It will make life much easier.

Back