HOLSET project

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

formby

learning in progress
so ive decided to keep the altima and fix the minor damage....and since the crx is uninsured and not starting i am going to get it ready for next years drag season...

the block is getting sleeved and the cr is going to be set at 9.8:1 81mm (for rebuilds and maint)....i will try to implement a 2 stg nitrous system but that is another thread.....this build will be on a small budget....so i've decided to use a holset turbo....running 15+psi...and i want to try to use the nos to spool the snail

i've been reading this thread on HT
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1225182&page=1
and hotrex hooked me up with some one in HMT that knows about these turbos...

but this is my home forum and you opinions hold more water...

so the HX35 looks like it would be the best choice...but the hy35 is also a good candidate....but the HX30 would also work and the 40 series is huge.....what would be the best choice for my set up...

from the pics that i have seen they are all t3 flanged but some have a divided inlet...what is that? and can i bolt it up to a reg t3 flange....

discuss.........

I farted....x3...would love to give my input, but part numbers and turbos are like reading hebrew to me......GL with the build.

Here are some HX/HY-35 maps. Boost pressure at 20 psi (pressure ratio calculated from that), with cfm plotted from 500 to 8000 rpm. Pre-2003 <span style="color:#33FF33">HX-35 in Green</span>. 2003 - 2004.5 <span style="color:#000000">HY-35 in Black</span>. 2004.5 - <span style="color:#CC0000">Present HY-35 in Red</span>. This is for 2.0L of displacment. (Excuse the updated graph, as I have some small changes yet to make to the fonts and scales, but the maps are correct.)
gallery_13158_490_22903.jpg

they all have a standard t3 exhaust flange but are split for a twin scroll effect. The best idea would be to make a twin scroll manifold connecting 1 with 4, and 2 and 3 if i am correct, i might be wrong. But any manifold with a t3 flange would work

the hx35's and hy35's ive seen all over ebay, i have yet to see an hx30 personally which was what i was looking for when i thought about boosing my stock b16

they seem like they have tons of potential though.....

werd..

hey B you are the mang when it comes to reading maps.....can you explain a little about the maps i posted????

from what ive read on H-T HY35 for single cams and HX35 for duals. also from what i understood the HY35 has a smaller exhaust side from the HX.

hx35 will more than satisfy your needs. end of discussion

btw didnt we discuss this already via pm??

have youever use one of these turbos on a b series.....will the bolt up to a t3 flange....

hx35 is a prime choice for a b18.

b16a you might want to run a hy35, which is from the automatic cummins diesels.

im running a borg warner gm-8 off a duramax diesel.

all these turbos are t3 flanged... bolt em up and rip

i have a stock lsv....what do you suggest...ive never heard of these turbos....whats the spring psi in the WG....anything speacial i should know....i think ill buy one they seem cheap

best bet is external wg. stock pods on those turbos are 16-18 psi

one more thing will the hx35 be good for a 8k rpm....

hx35 will far exceed the capability of your stock block motor.
that are good for 500 plus hp

the above are the conversations we had over pm....

for the most part yes you helped me alot and thank you....but i like to discuss into detail in the threads; i get more responses ....also, we only talked about stock block application...i'm going to sleeve the block so i think ill use an hx40.....

what do you / everyone think????

How do you get the airflow for a certain engine...the only thing i know how to read is a stock ls, because the dude on H-T specifically said what the flow was.

a hx40 on a b16a will not spool for shit.

i still suggest the hx35. guys are making 400 plus with ease.

the block is getting sleeved and the cr is going to be set at 9.8:1 81mm (for rebuilds and maint)....i will try to implement a 2 stg nitrous system but that is another thread.....this build will be on a small budget....so i've decided to use a holset turbo....running 15+psi...and i want to try to use the nos to spool the snail

thats from the my first post..

.and is an lsvtec engine..not a b16.... its track only set up using c16 fuel..i might consider boring the block to 84 but with the nitrous and turbo i think i want the sleeves as thick as possible

my fault didnt see that. but you will need some spray to spool an hx40, thats big steam dude, big steam

so i'm going to buy this turbo and some other stuff from this seller..

WH1C

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

then its going here for a rebuild

http://www.htturbo.com/dodge/

i've decided to purchase a gsr block and get that sleeved with a knife edged ls crank...and a custom ramhorn mani...an p&p my b16 head

but until then i'm using my el cheapo manifold, buying a 40mm wg and a custom 3" dp (prob made by hotrex) and boosting until the old ls block gives up....

Formby: have u seen one of these turbo's? the hx35 has like a 9" wide compressor housing, its huge, i dunno but unless your pushing for low 9's with spray and all that jazz id beleive the hx35 would do more than enough for you

sure....but the turbo is like 130 bucks ...its huge i know...but hey this set up is taken from the thread oh ht

civexturbo

50 posts [100%]
Nevada Ohio
10-31-2002
Report this post to a ModeratorAdd this post to My NotepadSend Instant Message
« « » 3:20 PM 10/19/2005 Reply Edit

I just got into the 12's on 12 psi with my Holset. I ran a 12.88 @ 110 mph in the quarter. I had a 2.00 60' on drag radials. Here is a quick setup list.

LS/VTEC with ported b16 head
Log style turbo manifold
turbonetics deltagate external wg
70mm throttle body
intake maifold port matched to head/tb
Large fmic
blitz dd blow off valve
2.5" to 3" downpipe
3" exhaust
Holset H1C turbo
Crome stand alone with base tune
(car needs tuned pretty badly)