Holy Breakdown Batman!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RoughKnight

Christmas Car
Good day overall, met a guy who knows alot of mechanic friends in Toronto(near by city), and they play with the mechanics of cars for fun. He msg'd hid friend and asked him how much it would be to boost my setup. Within minutes he replied $400, and a few bucks more for the manifold. That was the good part.

Friend brought down his all motor Tiburon, pretty peppy, kept up for a bit then it walked me lol (187hp/191tq). Quick drive back to his hotel...and here we go.

After I turned the car off, went to turn it on, lets list them, shall we?

- HUGE squealing from the drivers side under the hood (guessing power steering)
- When it left, it feels like its rubbing on my front right tire(I didn't hit anything and I just replaced ball joints/alignment less than a month ago)
- Still air leak somewhere, idle's around 1400 now
- Battery light is now on for some reason
- My friend took a ride with me to see how my setup, noticed that when I clutched in it made a wierd sound, says a bearing near my "fork" is going and I'm gonna need a new tranny soon.

All on my student paycheck...must be nice lol. Any ideas for the tranny thing?

To me it sounds like the squealing you heard was the alternator, that's why your battery light is on now because it either took a shit or the belt snapped off and is also now causing the rubbing feel. Although you said the rubbing is on the right side, you just might be mistaken.

As for the tranny noise, if it only happens when you push the clutch in, then it's your throw out bearing.

Alternator is brand new. I'm leaning towards my rpm gauge now maybe: I have it powered to my 7.5amp radio fuse under the dash...Is there a better place for it? It worked so I never thought it was a power leak....

Tranny noise= Throw out bearing = tranny on its way out?

Alternator is brand new. I'm leaning towards my rpm gauge now maybe: I have it powered to my 7.5amp radio fuse under the dash...Is there a better place for it? It worked so I never thought it was a power leak....

Tranny noise= Throw out bearing = tranny on its way out?
Doesn't matter if it's brand new. New units take shits all the time. It happens. You could have over tightened the belt and burnt it out. Just don't assume that it's not a possibility.

No your tranny isn't on the way out, the throw out bearing is. It's the bearing that the clutch fork kicks out onto the fingers of the pressure plate. Just get a new clutch kit and you're good to go. I say get an entire kit because if you're gonna go as far as changing out the throw out bearing, you might as well slap in a new clutch as well. This would also be a perfect time to get a new pilot bearing and get your flywheel resurfaced or even better, a light weight flywheel :)

i've seen new rebuildt alternators last less than 2 miles. Check that, and also check your belt tension. If your belt is squeaking it probably is too loose.

will do
gotta work on finding this leak...i'm sick and tired of 1300rpm idling

Okay I have the car warmed up, done some research, and all the articles that I find are how to DIAGNOSE a vacuum leak, nobody tells me how to go about to actually fix it. brb spraying carb cleaner between my intake and my head. I think its on the drivers side at that spot, but i'll brb for sure. While i'm there, anybody tell me another way to wire my tach? It's using the 7.5amp fuse for the radio, i'm guessing thats no good. Anybody have a different spot? +rep if u help!

So, after spraying carb cleaner everyfuckingwhere I could think of for a leak....results were...

The throttle cable has some play, pulling UP on the gas pedal lowers it a bit.
I can't, for the life of me, move that fucking idle screw. I think i'm doing more damage to it as it's starting to break off a bit. Any tips for that one? Carb it to death? :D

did you try adjusting the throttle cable first? before fucking with the idle screw?

Yea no matter where we adjusted the cable too, the car would auto adjust the idle accordingly...
I relocated the rpm power wire, bat symbol is still there (lol)

Back