Holy Codes batman! d16y8 to d16z6 with y8 manifold in ek

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

murray195

Hello all,
I just finished swapping in a d16z6 into 2000 civic si that had a blown motor. I took the y8 intake manifold off the d16y8 and mounted it to the z6 head. It starts up great but the idle climbs to almost 5000rpm and holds there for a bit then dips down it starts searching for an idle. I'm throwing the following codes:
7-TPS
3-MAP
10-IAT
14- IACV
What I don't get is the intake manifold was fine on the old motor and no codes were being thrown. The only thing I can think of is theres a coolant passage between the head and intake by cylinder 4 that isn't the same shape...maybe there's a minor leak or not enough coolant is getting through? Also, there was a solenoid of some sort on the front of the automatic transmission that was broken (behind the passenger side floating mount). It has a two pin connector. I'm not sure if thats in anyway related to the rpm issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

the 99-00 y8 manifolds have air injection. thats where your vac leak is. pull the manifold off and plug the 1/8th inch holes by the fuel injectors and you should be gettin somewhere..

codes

I'm using the factory ecu and harness. Only difference is the head and block. I brain farted and thought the y8 manifold only had the air injection issue if it was for a MT. I'll let you know what happens, thanks for the potential solution!

ok, so i blocked off all of the air injection holes. I installed a new intake gasket at the same time. The motor is billowing white smoke out the back... it really doesnt smell like a head gasket. Is it possible that the intake gasket didn't take and the motor is burning coolant? There's no bubbles coming out of the rad or overflow bottle, the oil doesnt look like coffee creamer... So like I say, I doubt its the headgasket.

The z6 head has a rectangle outlet and the y8 intake has a circular inlet... my gasket has a circular inlet as well. is this ok? i used some permatex around the rectangular outlet and gasket.

Last edited:
Back