home gyms?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Here we go again, I read up on fitness quite regularly and i'm going to have to side with new2. And Brian.... please don't get a bowflex, it's a piece of shit.

Quoted post[/post]]
so, how about that bow flex?

so much for a topic on home gyms.........

I'm 100% honestly trying to help you out and give you the most sound information possible.

Hell, I don't joke around about this sort of thing. I was going to purchase my girlfriend's little brother an olympic weight set for christmas, even paying the majority when I'm not close with him, simply because he was interested in learning and lifting.

It was going to be $99 at sports authority for a full olympic weight set. Buy a GOOD bench for $200 and you just spent $300 for the best possible gym rather than spending some ridiculous amount on a bowflex or total gym.

I like to see people succeed, especially regarding their health.

well its a powerhouse set up. the bench is seperats and has the leg extension and curl peiece. and the other peiece has a normal 45lb barbell that adjust's to diffent heights from squats to decline bench press. it also has the lat pull down and includes 300lbs. i bought it from dicks and just tried to look up a pic but i cant find it. i'll look some more

Brian, if you're interested these are some great routines;

Great to build a good foundation and to have an overall strong body.
http://wannabebig.com/category.php?cat=4

Hypertrophy specific training is a relatively new line of thinking and training and its a great full body workout that will lead to a strong, healthy and functional body. Great if you're just looking out for your general health in addition to cosmetic gains. If you require big guys to should you that their principles work, click on the link, he's a monster. This routine doesn't have you training to failure.
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

Then there's the "Big Five" with 5 sets of 5 reps of squat, deadlift, bench, chin ups, and military press.

Quoted post[/post]]
well its a powerhouse set up. the bench is seperats and has the leg extension and curl peiece. and the other peiece has a normal 45lb barbell that adjust's to diffent heights from squats to decline bench press. it also has the lat pull down and includes 300lbs. i bought it from dicks and just tried to look up a pic but i cant find it. i'll look some more

trade ya a y8 manifold for it? :p

Quoted post[/post]]

I'm 100% honestly trying to help you out and give you the most sound information possible.

i realize this... but i'm asking about gyms... not routines or work outs or how to do it. i know how to lift...

i didn't look like this in 2001 by doing nothing:

Attachments

• brian01.jpg
    brian01.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 92
B, I say you go with free weights. That's just my opinion. but what ever system you decide to go with, make sure it's in an area where you always walk through. Notice that I said "through" not by. You can walk by your weight sets all day long if they are in another room, but if you have to walk "through" the area they are in, you or more likely to use them.
For example, my friend just bought himself a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house. He has no roomates or girlfriend yet he has his weight set in his kitchen. Yup, that's right, his fucking kitchen!! all he has in the kitchen are your basic things, fridge, dining table for 4, ect... he has a perfect spot to where he walks right next to it, yet it doesn't get in the way when your trying to cook or eat dinner. Anyway, point is if you put it some where you are always at, 9 times out of 10 you'll start lifting just because it's right there in your face.

Training to failure means failure, until you can't do anymore and this is what I'm talking about - not doing endless sets or this or that. You do not have to go until you cannot complete the final rep, it should be a challenge, it should be difficult but it should not be to the point where you cannot complete a rep and would have to use a spot just like B said he did before, as in getting stuck on number 6 1/2 like he said.

Just stop.

The definition of failure:
The condition or fact of being insufficient or falling shor
# A cessation of proper functioning or performance: a power failure.
Nonperformance of what is requested or expected; omission: failure to report a change of address.
# A decline in strength or effectiveness.

Really, I told myself I wasn't going to even respond to you before you made your reply because it was obvious that for once everyone was in agreeance.

B, free weights for the most effective and inexpensive workout. i don't know what other way to say it.

I said about girlfriends, not moms. :blink:

I ain't saying you a gold digga...but you ain't messin with no broke...broke.

My parents bought a bow flex around 6 years ago. I used that maybe 3 times a week for about an hour. I have never been more ripped in my life. I wasn't a hulking mass.. I was the perfect kind of toned.

searching for a pic....

flex1.jpg

flex2.jpg

I recommend a bowflex.. My wife and I just canceled out gym membership and in a few months are going to get a bowflex

Needless to say I am no longer in this shape.. add 40 lbs

Back