home made turbo kit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

^crx^

after i have been told not to buy a complete kit did i start my turbo project with buying a garet t03/04,
drag turbo manifoil,
IC,
tial wasgate,
greddy turbo timer and got a oil catch can 4 free

but what more do i need?
down pipe (can i use a rev hard)
IC piping
SS oil lines
BOV
div instruments (boost, a/f?, EGT, oil press, water temp)
missing link

please make comments on what more i need
im planing to use stock internals now and dont go as far as hondata and stuff like that

Ok so you have a Garret t3/t04 turbo
Drag turbo manifold
Some sort of intercooler
Tial wastegate
GReddy turbo timer and GReddy oil catch can

You can use the revhard downpipe if the bolt patern of the downpipe flange is the same as on the turbine housing of the turbo.

You need intercooler piping
An oil feed line from the block to the turbo
An oil return line from the turbo to the oil pan
You don't need a blow off valve but it's recommended to prevent compressor surge.
Those gauges you listed are fine, for the EGT gauge you need to get your manifold tapped for the EGT probe.
And yes you need a missing link since you won't be using check valves or hondata.

I would recommend an FMU and bigger fuel pump. What are you using to tune it with?

well it is the fuel bit im dont know what to do... so need advice from you..

go with piggyback controller? 12:1 fmu? 255lph fuel punp? new injectors?
can i keep the timing stock @ 7psi?

without a standalone, you have no choice but to keep the timing stock.

fmu cannot be used with larger injectors than stock (a hair bigger will work, but any more than 310, and you will flood at idel because theres nothing to tune them down.)

just keep in mind that a larger (t3/t4) turbo makes more air, and thus needs more fuel.

for a t25 or straight t3 at the same boost levels, i'd say use an fmu all day long.

but for a t3/t4, i wouldn't. but thats me. tons of people do it.

but, tons of people also blow up.

and with the drag POS manifold that has a wasteate bleed off only 1 cly, you WILL spike. not if, WILL. you will see 10 psi every now and then and well, if you're close to redline when it happens, the fmu just won't be able to supply the right fuel.

so, thus, i'll never recommend an fmu for a t3/t4 setup, ever.

yes, i know all the kits come with one... but they are, well, just not a good item for a larger turbo.

have you looked into uberdata?

for the price of an fmu and check valves, you can have the entire system, chip burner, etc.
all you need is a laptop or a computer in your garage :D

:werd:

I'm looking into uberdata, I'm chipping a P28, getting setup for datalogging, and I have an extra laptop. I'm gonna get setup for tuning before buying all the parts. To me, tuning is more important than the turbo setup. I will be able to tune everything I have on the car, not just try to adjust this or that.

Originally posted by tab@Jul 30 2004, 12:05 AM
To me, tuning is more important than the turbo setup.
[post=370175]Quoted post[/post]​

if more people thought like you, i could close this place down :lol:

well i would be the firsth in norway to do uberdata... aint it wery hard to tune with?

what fum setup is best?

if you can use a laptop, can read boost/fuel and ingtion maps, and can find an eeprom chip/burner, you can use uberdata.

there's a plethora of base maps available as starting points. from there, with a wideband o2, even if you don't have a dyno, you can street tune your car. just have a freind drive while you tune, or the other way around

best fmu setup? they are pretty much all the same. a 12:1 fmu, and a check valve for the map sensor such as the Missing Link unit is really all you need.

but you will make MORE and SAFER power with the uberdata system, as it can control ignition maps as well as fuel maps.
all motor ignition maps are MUCH different than boosted igntion maps.

I've never heared Sol get gushy w/Uberdata. Welcome to the dark side...

Holy crap, I think this is the only BB without that stupid darth vader smiley lightsaber duel.

Originally posted by [Freemantle
,Aug 2 2004, 12:38 AM]
I've never heared Sol get gushy w/Uberdata. Welcome to the dark side...

Holy crap, I think this is the only BB without that stupid darth vader smiley lightsaber duel.
[post=371288]Quoted post[/post]​

lol i hate that smily. :)

and yes, i'll push uber over an fmu anyday...
but not over hondata.

well, are a couple of guys here with hondata. so my plan is to save money for it. and run FMU first.

but should i buy injectors and/or new fuel pump?

you need an inline bosoter or intank pump no matter what you do, but you use stock injectors with the fmu.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Jul 29 2004, 11:12 PM-->
@Jul 30 2004, 12:05 AM
To me, tuning is more important than the turbo setup.
[post=370175]Quoted post[/post]​

if more people thought like you, i could close this place down :lol:
[post=370182]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah, right.

The only reason I know this, is because I came to this site and did an assload of reading. Most of what I know about Hondas(>50%) is because your site enabled me to find the other 49%. Thanks. :)

If you can't afford to tune the car properly, and you can't afford a new engine, then you can't afford a turbo setup. It's your call.

Nothing will be hurt by waiting a little to install the turbo kit. while waiting for the means to tune it.

Back