Home network file sharing - Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MikeBergy

Blah blah blah....
Okay, I am finally getting around to setting up a home network, between my tablet, my pc, and my family's pc. I have the tablet setup wirelessly through a WRT54GS router, but my pc and the family's is hooked up via ethernet cable to the back of the router. I need to figure out how to setup each computer to share hard drives, or at least the shared documents folder. I am mainly seeking some help getting the wired connected to the wireless, as I need to move some files from one of the wired pcs to the wireless, and don't want to spend the time loading 20+ gigs of That 70's Show through a USB flash drive if I can avoid it.

assuming your using windows. you need to put all the computers in the same domain or workgroup. other than that as long as the tablet connects wirelessly to the router and your other computers are lugged into the router that's all the setup you should need to do.

To share the Desktop, browse to C:\Donuments and Settings\<username>\desktop , right click and choose share.

easiest way,

go to my computer
right click C:
sharing/security

open it up on both machines.

then, find the computer name, and from the other you can access it as

\\pcname\c$

or even better, map a network drive to that share. :)

F:\ or whatever can then be the other machine's c: drive.

Cool, thanks brian. I need to save that information somewhere, because I eventually want to do that when I get out of my parents' house. I don't feel like mapping my pc's hard drive to my parents' house network. My mom would probably freak out if she saw an extra HDD when she opened the explorer. All she uses her computer for is AutoDesk, photo album junk (shes a scrapbooker, omg I hate scrapbooks), and email. Nothing else really.

they have pretty much said how to set them up to be shared...but when you want to access the files from the other computer...go to My Network Places, then go to Entire Network, then go to Microsoft Windows Network, then pick the workgroup or domain your computers are all in, and then you can pick the computer to get the files from...

Back