Home Owners Club Addition

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lswhitecivic

VIP
After reading Nick's thread, it reminded me that I didn't post anything about the house that the wife and I bought earlier this month. We're in McKinney, TX which is a little farther from my work than I'd like to be, but anything within 15 miles of the office seem to be a lot older and we just haven't seen anything that we were really interested in until this house.

This is the first house we put an offer in on and initially put in a full price offer. Two other parties also put in offers, so we decided to go 10k over asking to try and get the home. We were told that we didn't get it, but it wasn't under contract because the seller and buyer were negotiating something. Three days later we get an email from our agent that the negotiations fell through and we now had the opportunity to resubmit our offer. Put in the same offer and had it accepted.

We just closed on October 9th, and I'd say were about 75% moved in at this point. Hopefully another week or so and we'll have everything unboxed and in place.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/b18bcivic/15608819132/in/set-72157646597333854/

The house is only 3 years old, inspection found just a few small fixes necessary. Hopefully its a while before we have to do anything major to the home.

First thing on my list is finishing the media room which is picture 16. Its already pre-wired for surround sound, and has electric in the ceiling for the projector. I need to get behind the wall covering and see if its wired for video as well. I just ordered a row of 2 theater seats for the upper level and a row of 3 for the floor. Still need to order the projector, looking at getting a BenQ HT1075 as it gets great reviews for being under $1000. Based on the size of the room, I'm thinking my screen should be in the 90-100" range. Need to do something to black out the window before mounting the screen. Also need to look at painting the room something darker, thinking brown or maybe a navy blue.

Last edited:
Nice man..congrats...thats a really nice looking house!..Whats something like go for in Texas? In CT in the right area....that's about $550,000 $650,000 in Southington to a $1,000,000 house In Litchfield/Greenwhich

Real good looking house man. Love the details.

Also, what are you thinking for surround sound? You going In wall/ceiling? Or Tower system.....

I highly recommend you look at BIC Acoustic...absolutely high quality great sound....you won't find a bad review on BIC Speakers....I have the BIC Acoustech Cinema Six series but they have an upgraded one now called the PL89....highllly highllly highllly recommend...

http://sounddistributors.com/buynow...=516&crid=291&cat_name=BIC+Acoustech+Speakers

Add an additional pair of PL66's for 7.1...

And make sure you got the right receiver to power them....i would go with the Yamaha RX-V775 to power...them....or to power whatever you plan on getting

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V77...id=1414072982&sr=1-9&keywords=yamaha+receiver

Thanks! Colorado has pretty high prices as well. This house in Colorado would have probably been in the 500-600k range and possibly even higher depending on the neighborhood. We spent right around 330k and have a 30 year fixed mortgage at 4.25%.

Thanks! Colorado has pretty high prices as well. This house in Colorado would have probably been in the 500-600k range and possibly even higher depending on the neighborhood. We spent right around 330k and have a 30 year fixed mortgage at 4.25%.
WoW 330k! That's what we paid for our 2500SQ/FT house built in 1988...though highly upgraded....makes me just want to get the fuck out of CT even more.

I actually have a surround system that I've had for several years now. It's an older Yamaha 5.1 system, in the $500-600 range for speakers, receiver, and powered sub. Its not amazing, but it sounds good for now. It's definitely something I plan to upgrade a year or two down the line.

I figure since I have an alright system as it is, I'd rather put that money towards other things in the media room/game room. As for mounts, since the cutouts are already in the wall, I'm thinking of going with something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-Moun...d_sim_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WTA1SMHMA72ED0EZCCH

Covers the hole and has the mount all in one piece.

HAHAHA $330k, I'm so jealous. The homes I'm looking at are a LOT more expensive and I will get 1/2 the house.

Also, that's not a home. When you have a cement wall around your entire property, it's a compound. lol

HAHAHA $330k, I'm so jealous. The homes I'm looking at are a LOT more expensive and I will get 1/2 the house.

Also, that's not a home. When you have a cement wall around your entire property, it's a compound. lol
Yeah I can't complain at all about what we can afford here. I'm quite happy with the purchase.

Its not around the entire property, just the back wall. The sides just have 8ft privacy fence.

It's funny that you mention compound though, as my last name is Kennedy, we've been calling it the Kennedy Estate.

Nice house! Congrats.. Sonos makes some quality speakers, expensive though

SONOS speakers are garbage, no offense....the only good features is they can be "wireless" with the bridges and play in multiple rooms, which many people have issues with the speakers staying connected and a 7.1 system with a sub will cost you about $2000 if you are looking to use it as a single home theater system. Not even close to worth that kind of money. No where even in the same league as a BIC Tower System with a Yamaha Receiver.

SONOS is a gimmick really....If you are looking for a "wireless" speaker to play in your kitchen while you cook, it's a very expensive, OK sounding solution. Nothing can compare to a wired system with good speakers and a receiver

SONOS is the bees knees if you build a system for the house in the sense of connectivity. But you're right. The speaker systems blow.

I have a family member that has a networked house and has SONOS controllers in a couple rooms, and a dedicated IPAD in the living room and its super awesome. Basically we'll be outside at the sport cort, pick up a controller, and select a play list and select sport court, and boom. We got music out there. Or hot tub, deck, garage, living room, etc.

At that, I have plex and can just connect to bluetooth off my phone to any receiver. Much much much cheaper.

:shrug2:

Being able to control your entire house from your phone is awesome.. speakers sound good to me, maybe its because I didn't spend a dime on my system.

Yeah like i said, it's a nifty little system if you are you looking to listen to music all over your house, though you can just as easily do that with a wired system because they have multiple zone hook ups. If i hooked mine up right, my system can play an ipod through one zone upstairs and i can be watching a movie downstairs or have the same thing playing though all zones.

The SONOS cost is just not justified IMO and is not a good system to have just as a a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system for your TV.

i can see 600-800 bucks and it would be a 4 star product at that price range, but at 2000+ no thanks.

That being said eg6sir, thats not a bad system for free lol

flickr is blocked at work, will check it out later.

sounds nice though. congrats on the purchase.

did the wife find work down there too since you jus tmoved for your job?

She did! Two years of looking in Colorado netted her exactly 0 job offers.

3 months of looking here and she was offered a position as an Academic Advisor for a local community college.

Best part is we've been living for 2 years off just my salary. Granted the mortgage is more than our rent used to be, but between my raise and her salary we should be able to pay down my student loans rather quickly which is the only debt we have after the new mortgage. The budget we've set for ourselves only takes into account my salary. All of her wages should come as a surplus every month.

Back