Home Security/Surveillance

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Just do what my old neighbors did.. post a sign on the front of the house that says " If you can read this, you're within shooting distance"

the only problem with that, and similar signs, is that it tells potential thieves that there are weapons in the house, and to either come armed and prepared, or wait till no one is home and steal the guns

I'd love to have a security cam system, but I know none of the affordable ones will work 8 months of the year.

eGxXDiCh_UmSVy8GCENf0A2.jpg

I install security systems for jewelry stores, pawn shops, doctors offices, and lawyers as a second job. PM me.

PTZ cameras open you up to being subpoenaed when a cop comes to your neighborhood responding to something, and any of your state laws on surveillance off your property. Don't use PTZ cameras in an area where it can view off your property.

wouldnt you want to help your neighbors though?

i know mine are nice and if i had footage, i would share it without even waiting to be asked for it

wouldnt you want to help your neighbors though?

i know mine are nice and if i had footage, i would share it without even waiting to be asked for it

yeah i wouldn't have a problem with that either....it's the right thing to do.

You guys and I live in different worlds. The cameras are to protect my things and my life. I have them pointed to ensure I'm not recording my neighbors, because I don't want it to come into question my purpose for having them. Many states have laws about recording people on their own property. Keep in mind that what may be visible from the street is different than what is visible from your house/property.

It should go without saying that a no trespassing sign needs to go with the cameras.

What if your neighbors are why you bought the cameras...

+1

You guys and I live in different worlds. The cameras are to protect my things and my life. I have them pointed to ensure I'm not recording my neighbors, because I don't want it to come into question my purpose for having them. Many states have laws about recording people on their own property. Keep in mind that what may be visible from the street is different than what is visible from your house/property.

It should go without saying that a no trespassing sign needs to go with the cameras.

+1

CT doesn't have those laws

Recently someones surveillance cameras got images of a guy trying to abduct a young girl. It helped get the scumbag caught.
If I had a system I would help every neighbor out except the lady who lives below me because she is such a bitch.

CT doesn't have those laws

Do you want to become the test-case?

That's the cool thing about our laws is that so many can apply to any instance.

Criminal Jury Instructions 7.5-1
  • CHAPTER 952 – PENAL CODE: OFFENSES Sec. – 53a-189a. Voyeurism: Class D felony.
(a) A person is guilty of voyeurism when,
(1) with malice, such person knowingly photographs, films, videotapes or otherwise records the image of another person
(A) without the knowledge and consent of such other person,
(B) while such other person is not in plain view, and
(C) under circumstances where such other person has a reasonable expectation of privacy,
or
(2) with intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desire of such person or any other person, such person knowingly photographs, films, videotapes or otherwise records the image of another person
(A) without the knowledge and consent of such other person,
(B) while such other person is not in plain view, and
(C) under circumstances where such other person has a reasonable expectation of privacy.
(b) Voyeurism is a class D felony.
  • CHAPTER 952 – PENAL CODE: OFFENSES Sec. – Sec. 53a-189b. Disseminating voyeuristic material: Class D felony.
(a) A person is guilty of disseminating voyeuristic material when such person disseminates a photograph, film, videotape or other recorded image of another person without the consent of such other person and knowing that such photograph, film, videotape or image was taken, made or recorded in violation of section 53a-189a.
(b) Disseminating voyeuristic material is a class D felony.
Seems broad enough that it could get you into trouble, or at least have to go to court. Cool thing is that "voyeuristic material" isn't precisely defined by CT law, so good luck trying to fight your side.

EDIT: apparently there's no pre-formatted text tags on this forum, so have fun reading it. I tried my best.

Last edited:
That's a good start, but you'll realize quickly that you need at least one PTZ input and more than 480 line cameras.

Those are the kind of systems I rip out and install new cameras, then when the customer realizes that they need a better DVR with more features. The features in those DVRs are lacking is the remote control, search, triggering, and user-interface. There's really no way to use events to trigger anything, because the software doesn't have any inputs or options.

Back