Home Theatre

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
After the wedding I plan on finally making the dive into getting a decent home theatre setup.

I think projector is probably going to be the best way i can go. From what i've seen i still get good quality standard def content and the HD stuff is even better.

Im looking at the Optoma HD65 Projector (can be found for under $900). Its 720p and the replacement to the HD70 that a friend has and I love.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...FJksD64Jxg_dQjYPKUTEhgQAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en

From what ive read, this screen seems like a good fit for me as well: HTDepot.com offers best projector screen value for home theater

$300 shipped, and the reviews from AVS forum basically say its worth at least twice this price.

Finally sound.

Best i could come up with is Onkyo HT-S4100 5.1 system from Circuit City. Comes in around $350. Unfortunately im shooting for around $1500 for this setup, so Im skimping on the speakers. Im not an audiophile by any means, so i think these should suit me just fine.

Buy the Onkyo HT-S4100 5.1 Dolby EX and DTS-ES Home Theater and other Home theater systems at circuitcity.com

If you've got suggestions im more than happy to hear them, but i think im going to reject any idea that goes over 1,600.

The main reason for the projector is i HATE the standard def quality of every HD tv ive seen so far. I dont know why more works isnt put into the upscaling engines on the plasmas and LCDs.

Last edited:
projectors are annoying as shit for doing anything but watching a dvd/blue ray. they suck as a tv.

if you think SD sucks on tvs, what do you think it's going to do on a projector?

yup, suck even more.

I have 0 issues with SD signals on both my sammy and my lg. looks fine.
sure, you can tell its not high def, but i bet its clearer than what you're looking at right now.

At the end of the day, with a $1600 budget, you're going to get a bottom of the line system at best. That should be your tv budget... not tv + audio

I dont know B, Ive seen the older version of this projector an non-hd channels look pretty good on it. not awesome of course, definitely watchable though.

I was watching family guy on cartoon network at the same friend's house. his sony bravia FUCKED UP family. I had to be standing across the room to kind of watch it...and this is a 40".

There is no way i could ever recommend that TV to anyone after seeing the standard def output. IT WAS HORRIFIC. Hence the projector.

sony blows.
over priced, over-rated.

i love my samsung.

the only thing that looks bad on it are 80's movies and shit that were filmed in like 15p. lol

If you're going to go into HD and a projector, why not go all the way into 1080i?

agreed. if you're not buying a 1080p unit at this point, you're buying yesterdays technology for only a couple bucks less.

For the audio, keep an eye out on shoponkyo.com. I saw the 4100S (silver model) refurbished go for $170. I almost jumped on it, but I didnt need it and money is tight.

And Ive heard nothing but good things about the refurbs from onkyo. Only the wires you get are too small of a gauge, but everything works flawlessly.

If you want something budget for 1600 including a TV not sure how you could go wrong here

LG 42LC7D LCD HDTV w Yamaha YHT390BL Home Theater System - 42", 1366 x 768, ATSC, NTSC, QAM, HDMI at TigerDirect.com

L49-BDL1-main.jpg

LG 42LC7D LCD HDTV w/ Yamaha YHT390BL Home Theater System
Get ready for spectacular digital entertainment! This amazing offer includes a brand new LG 42-inch 42LC7D LCD HDTV and a Yamaha YHT-390BL 5.1 channel Home Theater System. All for a price that nobody else can touch! The LG 42LC7D LCD HDTV delivers true 178º viewing angle with consistent contrast and color - even while viewing at the most extreme angles. It's Super IPS Technology Reduces common distortion and blurring caused by fast motion video. And it boasts LG Simplink technology that allows you to conveniently control other LG SimpLink products using the existing HDMI connection. The LG 42LC7D also features LG’s exclusive XP Engine that delivers six distinct processes to contribute to brilliant picture quality. LG’s XD Engine takes the low resolution of analog signals to near HD levels by improving brightness, contrast, detail and enhancing color as well as reducing signal noise. This total solution results in cinema-like high resolution images. This masterful television offers 8000:1 contrast 1366 x 768 resolution, and a variety of connection options including, RS-232, S-Video, Component In, RGB, and HDMI in.
Yamaha’s YHT-390BL5.1-channel Home Theater System includes a 100W 5-Channel Receiver with SCENE, 8 DSP programs and iPod compatibility, plus five speakers and a 100-watt subwoofer. You’ll enjoy outstanding video quality with component video up conversion, HDTV compatible component video out, digital video up and down conversion. And for your convenience, video inputs are located on the front panel. The YHT-390BL’s realistic surround sound is simply sensational with the most advanced digital technologies and superb speaker quality.
Enjoy sensational entertainment in the comfort of your own home with the LG 42-inch 42LC7D LCD HDTV and the Yamaha YHT-390BL 5.1-channel Home Theater System. Hurry - at this price, supplies won’t last long!

Yamaha YHT-390BL Home Theater System

• Channels: 5.1
  • Total System Power: 600W (Including 100W Subwoofer)
  • Finish: Black
  • RMS Output Power (1kHz): 100W x 5
  • DTS 96/24 / DTS Neo: 6 / DTS ES Discrete 6.1: (DTS Digital Surround)
  • Dolby Digital EX /Dolby Prologic IIx: (Dolby Digital / Dolby Pro Logic II)
  • iPod Compatibility: Yes (With Optional YDS-10)
  • Compressed Music Enhancer: Yes
  • Bluetooth Compatibility: Yes (With Optional YBA-10)
  • HDMI Output: Yes
  • A/V Inputs / Outputs: 4 / 2
  • Front A/V With Digital Input: Yes (A/V Only)
  • Surround Programs: 8
  • Cabinet Type: Wood
  • Front Speakers (Woofer, Tweeter Size): 4" + 1/2"
  • Center Speaker (Woofer, Tweeter Size): Dual 3" + 1/2"
  • Surround Speakers (Woofer, Tweeter Size): 3" Full Range
  • Removable Grill Cloth: Yes (Front / Center)
  • Subwoofer: Yes
  • Power Output: 100W
  • Driver Size: 8"

another friend has the LG 42" LCD (1080p) and its standard def stuff isnt as bad as the bravia, but its still damn hard to watch regular TV on it. Upscaled PS2 game on the PS3 werent bad (the main reason for SD quality concerns is the amount of PS2 games we have), but it still isnt anything near what the 720p projector is.

I seriously doubt im going to go with an actual TV, i was just seeing if there are any other projector freaks out there.

The reason i dont go with a 1080p or 1080i projector is due to price, and no one i know has a 1080p projector that i can look at to see if i like it. All of the 1080p TVs ive seen suck at standard def (cable) and are nothing to write home about even with a good SD source (DVD/Video Games).

I dont really care about OOOHHH i have a 1920x1080 resolution picture and you only have a 1280x720 resolution. I have the same amount of picture and im willing to bet if you placed equally priced units made by the same manufacturer in front of someone at 15' maybe 1 out of 5 could tell me which was the 1080p screen. At 10' it goes up to 2/5. and right on the screen MAYBE 50% could tell you.

Its not THAT big of a deal. I know i can tell the difference from 10', at 15' i have to spend a lot of time checking it out to know the difference. I really dont think im going to care that i only have a 720p 95" screen.

*sigh* oh well...i tried.

thats just it... the bigger you go, the more important it is to have a 1080p.
i'd say 46 and lower, 768/720 is fine.
but anything over 46, you'll start noticing a huge difference, and it's only progressive as it gets bigger.

Think about it.

95" screen across is like 75 or something tall.

in 75 inches, there will be 720 'block's of color

or, 1 'line/pixel' = roughly 1 inch.

if you're on 1080, that gets cut to 1/2"

it's going to look blocky as hell at that size.

i think you really over estimate how bad it really is. Think about board room projectors. Those things can handle 1280x1024 with no problem blown up to infinite.

Man you are one picky bastard. HD on most TV looks great from what I have seen. I have seen a few projector TV's and they seen to be just as good. They just seem like more maintenance then regular TV's.

I'm more of a sound guy so thats what I spent more money on. My Bic Acoustic Cinema 6 Series rival the Klipsch Home Theator at almost 1/2 the cost.

But check this out ok ready..

$659 Toshiba TDP-PX10U DLP Mobile Projector - Refurbished, 720p HDTV, 2000 ANSI Lumens, XGA, 1024x768, 2000:1, 2.9 lbs, Internal Speak

Toshiba TDP-PX10U DLP Mobile Projector - Refurbished, 720p HDTV, 2000 ANSI Lumens, XGA, 1024x768, 2000:1, 2.9 lbs, Internal Speaker RB-TDP-PX10U at TigerDirect.com

A32-230003-main.jpg

$699 BIc Acoustic HT-64 Bookshelf Speakers For The Front Left & Right. HT65 Center, Two HT63 Surrounds & The Powerful 500 Watt H-100 Subwoofer.

ht64system.jpg

Klipsch Speakers, klipsch icon, thx, speakers, premier acoustic, In Wall Speakers, In Ceiling Speakers Call 800-691-6914

$ 148.99 Onkyo TX-SR506 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Receivers - Onkyo TX-SR506 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver - Black (Onkyo) - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players

5626893_lg.jpg

Total $1507

Projectors are great! even for TV the problem is people keep getting chit and it looks like chit.

as of a few years ago a good HD projector was in the 8-10K range. now they're starting to get into the 1500-2000 range not counting the screen. Only down side I see to people having projectors is rarely do people size the room right, in order to do a large screen you need to be at least 15-20 feet from it when watching it. 50" TV puts you in the 7-12 foot range. having a 80-90-100" tv and sitting 10 feet from it just makes for one crappy tv.

Man you are one picky bastard. HD on most TV looks great from what I have seen. I have seen a few projector TV's and they seen to be just as good. They just seem like more maintenance then regular TV's.

I'm more of a sound guy so thats what I spent more money on. My Bic Acoustic Cinema 6 Series rival the Klipsch Home Theator at almost 1/2 the cost.

But check this out ok ready..

$659 Toshiba TDP-PX10U DLP Mobile Projector - Refurbished, 720p HDTV, 2000 ANSI Lumens, XGA, 1024x768, 2000:1, 2.9 lbs, Internal Speak

Toshiba TDP-PX10U DLP Mobile Projector - Refurbished, 720p HDTV, 2000 ANSI Lumens, XGA, 1024x768, 2000:1, 2.9 lbs, Internal Speaker RB-TDP-PX10U at TigerDirect.com

A32-230003-main.jpg

$699 BIc Acoustic HT-64 Bookshelf Speakers For The Front Left & Right. HT65 Center, Two HT63 Surrounds & The Powerful 500 Watt H-100 Subwoofer.

ht64system.jpg

Klipsch Speakers, klipsch icon, thx, speakers, premier acoustic, In Wall Speakers, In Ceiling Speakers Call 800-691-6914

$ 148.99 Onkyo TX-SR506 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Receivers - Onkyo TX-SR506 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver - Black (Onkyo) - eCOST.com - electronics, computers, laptops, mp3 players

5626893_lg.jpg

Total $1507

Do those speakers have covers so i dont have to look at the orange cones? If so, i like where you are going with the sound.

As for the projector you picked. Its nice, but its rated at 1024x768 native. Thats, a slight issue.

But i like the sound choices except for the problem with Onkyo 506, 605, and 705 HDMI handshakes with Optoma projectors (i could always go with the epson projector, but its just a slight concern). I really do like the audio choice though.

Yeah they have covers, I have the Cinema 6 Series of the same Brand

No way you could be dissapointed with the sound, especially for the price. The sub has made my dog litteraly piss and shit all over the place

acoustechpicture.jpg

The Acoustech Cinema Series H100 subwoofer fills a room with clean bass that highly enhances music or deep rumbling bass for exciting home theater sound. This subwoofer is a super value. A sleek cabinet with high gloss houses a heavy duty 12" front firing woofer. 500 watts dynamic peak output. Performance guaranteed to knock your socks off especially at it's price..
Woofer - Long-throw 12".
Power - 500 watts dynamic peak output (150 watts RMS continuous).
Max Acoustic Output - 115 dBSPL
Frequency Response - 24 Hz - 200 Hz (+/- 3 dB)
Enclosure - vented
Dimensions - 17" H x 15 W x 18 1/4" D
Crossover Frequency Range - 40 Hz - 150 Hz

Each Acoustech HT-75 tower houses dual 6" woofers combined with a high efficiency horn tweeter or a true theater like experience. Wide dynamic range up to 116 dB output. High gloss tops and bottoms also add to a sleek cosmetic design. The new Acoustech high efficiency Cinema Series delivers performance rich in clarity and guarantees large spectrum theater-like sound.
Design - Video shielded, two-way, three component tower.
Frequency Response - 35 Hz - 20 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Drivers - Dual 6 1/2" woofers, one 6 1/2" mid/high frequency horn neodymiu magnet
Sensitivity - 96 dB @ 1 watt,1 meter
Power - 10 - 150 watts per channel.
Dimensions - 40" H x 9 W x 8" D Impedance - 8 Ohms
Limited Warranty - 2 years parts & labor

The new Acoustech HT-65 Center is a high efficiency Cinema Series delivering performance rich in clarity and guarantees large spectrum theater-like sound. The center houses dual 6" woofers combined with a high efficiency horn tweeter for a true theater like experience. Wide dynamic range up to 116 dBoutput. High gloss tops and bottoms also add to a sleek cosmetic design.
Design - Video shielded, two-way, three component center.
Frequency Response - 55 Hz -
20 kHz (+/- 3 dB) Drivers - Dual 6 1/2" woofers, one 6 1/2" mid/high frequency horn with neodymium magnet.
Sensitivity - 96 dB @ 1 watt,1 meter
Dimensions - 8" H x 22 W x 6" D
Impedance - 8 Ohms
Limited Warranty - 2 years parts and labor.

The new Acoustech HT-63 high efficiency Cinema Series delivers performance rich in clarity and guarantees large spectrum theater-like sound. The HT-63 bookshelf speakers have a unique angled cabinet for wide dispersion of sound. Each unit contains a 6"woofer combined with a high efficiency horn tweeter. A 5" x 7"passive radiator is also utilized. Wide dynamic range up to 116 dB output. High gloss tops and bottoms also add to a sleek cosmetic design.
Design - Two-way, three component bookshelf.
Frequency Response - 60 Hz - 20 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
Drivers -Dual 6 1/2" woofers, one 6 1/2" mid/high frequency horn with neodymium magnet.
Sensitivity - 96 dB @ 1 watt, 1 meter
Dimensions - 14" H x 9 W x 8" D
Impedance - 8 Ohms
Limited Warranty - 2 years parts and labor.

The pricing on that Onkyo receiver is kick ass, however, MAKE SURE it does up converting, if not you'll have to run an HDMI cable AND a component cables to your TV in order to get it to work.

I like having a single HDMI to the TV. even more so if you're TV is hanging.

agreed. if you're not buying a 1080p unit at this point, you're buying yesterdays technology for only a couple bucks less.

If you're not buying 4k equipment at this point, you're buying yesterday's technology for only a couple bucks less.

Thats really the issue. The projector is for SD and PS3 content. I haven't seen a PS3 game thats 1080p, most are 720p. So why spend the extra money if most of the things im watching are 720p.

I know the projector down converts 1080p to 720p just fine (blue ray with the PS3 using that projector).

I guess thats it then. Im probably going to look into the sound a little more...i can probably get away with spending an extra 300 on that. Whats a Home Theater without good sound?

I'd say buy a really nice TV / Projector / whatever floats your boat..

And live with it for a few months while you save for really nice sound to go along with it.

Back