Home Theatre

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The best surround sound I have heard has been a Mirage system. The sub, two front speakers, and center speaker alone cost more than your entire budget, but it was fantastic. Adding a decent receiver, rear speakers, and stands, wires, etc to it will end up getting the price closer to $3000-$3500...

i have. and really there is no comparison.

go to best buy magnolia with their bose room. then go to modia with their B&W room and tell me its the same sound.

I dare you.

I ask you this,

who the HELL is news gazette and how come Bose cannot publish a TV or radio ad using any major audio/video reviewers?

Bose is worse then a friggin Kia, Kia is a cheap car that clearly knows its cheap and trys to base its ads on being cheap.

Bose is about as good as low range audio yet has a price tag of mid range stuff and runs ads as if they're high end stuff.

Anyone who Bose sound system in their car knows just how great they are, in the 350Z forums one of the first mod anyone does to their car is rip that CHIT out.

Bose is smart, they spend millions of dollars on store fronts and tv ads, they push their product as something that's good. and whenever you hear people talk highly about bose, almost always that person has never had any real time in front of anything worth while, Lets be honest here, if you take anyone off the street who has a TV with TV speakers and put them in front of most anything that offers 5.1 SS, they're going to think OMG THIS ROCKz!!!!!

how come if you google "bose review" the first page that turns up is a bose sucks page? the 2nd page, "
BOSE Acoustimass - Better Profits Through Marketing "

back in the day bose did have some good chit, in 1968 bose put out the 901s and they were the shit. However, 40 years later they make the same damn speaker using different materials but its the same damn speaker. a lot has change in the world of sound, bose rather then design new high end stuff, they keep making their big dollar sound in a box crap, or the sound wave crap, or other crap that people who have no clue about sound buy. Marketing at its best!

bose is the kia of audio.

At least Kia doesn't go around on TV with BS reviews from some random mag stating they're as sporty as a BMW M series but as refined in the art of luxury as a Lexus...

The 606 is one of their cheaper receivers. Keep that in mind.

The best thing to do is to buy the most expensive receiver you can afford FIRST, then collect speakers afterwards. If you get a good receiver, it'll keep you extremely happy.

If you go with a HTiB, be sure to get the kind that is just speakers. Otherwise you'll end up buying everything all over again when you get a better receiver.

My parents got a yamaha HTiB system that they've been pretty happy with for about 5 years now. It's got plenty of room for upgrade, and it starts off with a decent set of speakers.

EDIT:
Those SVS speakers don't look too bad. I dunno about the price, it seems about right. I'd want to listen first.

If you've got some time, and you don't mind building your own speakers (by building, I mean soldering crossover, and screwing speakers into cabinets) then look into some kits on partsexpress.com. I got a pair of bookshelf speakers that are really nice from them on sale for $99. They're on par with my $400/ea bookshelf speakers.

Last edited:
Yeah, ive stopped doing stuff with my hands recently...as dirty as i get is adding ram to a server.

A buddy of mine is also leaning towards the SVS system, so i guess ill hear it then and decide. He's got an 806 though and not a 606. If i do the HTiB route i think ill be fine with spending more on the amp later.

Im not really an audiophile, but i dont like hollow sound either...thats the only reason i plan on upgrading the HTiB.

PS. the hollow sound thing is yet another reason i dont like the s2000. Terrible head unit even with new speakers (and i dont wanna replace the HU because of the dash controls).

From time to time Onkyo has specials and they had this for sale:
Onkyo HT-S5100 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater Package with iPod® Dock | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

Its a 7.1 system with an ipod dock. I read some reviews on avsforum and around the web in general and its generally considered the best HTB you can get besides putting things together yourself. The only major draw back is that its an hdmi switch that doesnt process the audio.

Im supposed to get it next Tuesday so ill tell you how it sounds.

PS i know its not top quality stuff but for the $250 i paid, im looking forward to it.

Onkyo and yamaha are where its at for HTiB I think.

I've had both and I love them. Currently we have an LG system we paid I believe 400-500 for at my college house. It's great for what my roommate paid, but isn't anything special compared to an onkyo of the same price but with twice as big speakers.

I think im going to go HTiB for initial setup, then buy a Onkyo 606 and pair it with this: SVSound - Complete Systems

5.1 option and the 12" Sub.

You should really really consider the BIC Acoustics my friend. Save yourself about 400 dollars over the SVS and buy a really good reciever or even go 7.1.

Call Sound Distributors. I was going to buy the Klipsch and they referred me to the BIC Acoustics saved me about 600 bucks

Yeah, the guys on AVS seem to like bic, but i couldnt find any other info on them.

Back